Thanks for assessment of my task2: international tourism

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
jennylfm

Thanks for assessment of my task2: international tourism

Post by jennylfm »

In some countries, people believe that international tourism is a bad thing for their country. What are the reason for this ? how to change their views?

Currently, international tourism is widely prevalent around the world. However, it is believed by some that international traveling is extremely detrimental to their countries. It will be argued that the main causes of this notion are the environmental damage and heavy burden on public infrastructures brought by it. To tackles these problems as to change people’s viewport, penalty system and improving public facilities will be analysed.

To begin with, one main reason behind why people think that international tourism is harmful to their countries is because of the environmental damage. With the rising of intentional traveller, they commonly conduct many outdoor activities such as visiting forest or wildlife, which could pose a serious threat on the local environment and habitat. Moreover, some unresponsible behaviours for instance throwing rubbish randomly or cutting their name on historical buildings accelerate the situation. To tackle this problem, one effective approach is to uphold strict penalty system for the travellers who damage the environment. Doing so would make them more liable for their behaviours and thus likely to engage in damaging activities later. Such increased punishment would act as a tremendous step towards changing people’s viewport of international tourism.

Additionally, the other reason why international tourism is regarded to be detrimental is that it would pose a serious burden on local public infrastructures, especially on public transportation which has compound negative impacts on local residents’ lives. Take Shanghai for example, during the period of Expo on 2010, the public transport collapsed due to the large scale of international tourism, which affected people’s daily life significantly. To address this problem, enhancing public infrastructure is one efficient and liable method. By doing so, it is not only beneficial to the international travellers, most importantly facilitate local people’s lives. As a consequence, It can be helpful to change people’s views about international tourism.

In conclusion, environmental damage and stress on public facilities because of international tourism are the main causes why it is believed by some to be harmful to their countries. Penalty system and improvement of public infrastructure are effective ways to combat these problems. Consequently, these strategies are beneficial to change people’s view about international tourism.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Thanks for assessment of my task2: international tourism

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Jenny!

There is one problem that a lot of candidates have with this question - international!

First main paragraph - Which of these problems is ONLY caused by foreign visitors? I would argue that, in some countries like China, the foreign visitors behave far better than the local tourists and are generally in fewer numbers than the domestic ones.

As I've already scanned the second paragraph, I feel justified in pointing out that Chinese tourists have a terrible reputation, even within their own country. I know many people in Hong Kong who would agree.

Second main paragraph - Not really a good example. For one, Shanghai has been a destination for foreigners for many years. Picking on one event is not representative. For another, surely it is the responsibility of the government (particularly when you are talking about China!!!) to ensure that transportation is up to standard?

Grammar is very good but ideas are either irrelevant or under-developed.

All the best,
David