Help me ! Ryan ! DOES an essay Thesis have to Paraphrase ?

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
aries91

Help me ! Ryan ! DOES an essay Thesis have to Paraphrase ?

Post by aries91 »

Hi Ryan, I'm a big fan of your videos and lessons. I really like your structure that are built in your essay and I want to follow it in my future ielts exam. However, I'm confused one thing when choose your style to follow that is it necessary to paraphrase the essay question in the thesis of introduction. Because, sometimes I saw your videos and recognized that you did not paraphrase the essay question. For example, the essay " ...Given time, technology will completely replace the teacher in the classroom. Do you agree or disagree?" then you wrote the Thesis is: " It is disagreed that technology will completely replace the teacher in the classroom". I'm looking forward to see your response. Thanks you again for all
Ryan

Re: Help me ! Ryan ! DOES an essay Thesis have to Paraphrase

Post by Ryan »

Hi aries91,

It's important to paraphrase and vary language in your essay. However, it is also important that your examiner sees a crystal clear link between your essay and your essay question. If through poor grammar or inaccurate wording your essay's thesis falls out of line with the essay question (in the case of an argument essay), the essay is set on a course that isn't in keeping with the task. This impacts the Task Achievement and Coherence portions of your mark and could lead to further confusion on behalf of your examiner later in the essay (i.e. "Why is the candidate concluding this when their thesis says that?")

I teach students to answer the question portion of the task description directly and with very little paraphrasing. It ensures the declaration of position is always 100% in line with the task. You have plenty of other areas in the essay with which you can demonstrate your grammatical and lexical abilities, but the thesis is a sentence you definitely do not want to mess up.