Exam on 26th Sep, need some tips.. PLEASE!!!

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
tafazzul1414

Exam on 26th Sep, need some tips.. PLEASE!!!

Post by tafazzul1414 »

TASK 2(ESSAY)
The private motor vehicle has greatly improved individual freedom of movement. Moreover, the automobile has become a status symbol. Yet the use of private motor vehicles has contributed to some of today's most serious problems.

How can the use of private motor vehicles be reduced?

Nowadays, private vehicles are very common in our society for several reasons. Firstly, they are a great means of transport. Using these saves a lot of time. For example, we don't need to wait for a bus/train. Secondly, this is the best way one can travel when he has any other work in that route. However, there are very unfortunate consequeneces.

On the one hand, these vehicles are the source of hazardous emmissions such as CO2 and CO. These are the main cause of one of the biggest problems faced on the Earth today - global warming. If we don't take measures to reduce global warming, soon we will see one third of Earth's surface washout due to the ice that's melting more and more every year.

On the other hand, usage of private vehicles has enormous effect on traffic and sound pollution. Higher the number of vehicles on road, higher the traffic and noise created by them. The traffic and sound pollution are effecting people's health badly.

Considering all the issues, everyone will feel it is adequate to dicrease the usage of these. It is in the hands of every individual and the Governments. The first and foremost thing, ofcourse, need to come from individuals i.e., private vehicles should be used only when necessary and they should opt for public transport otherwise. They should stop considering having a BMW or an Audi to be superior. Next comes the role of governments. These bodies should impose more tax on private vehicles to reduce the usage and steps should be taken to create awareness about all the problems among the public.

To conclude, I must say that the usage of private vehicles endangers the life on Earth and it is the duty of everyone to reduce the numbers.

TASK 1(Letter)
Your local newspaper would like to have a new regular weekly feature on a subject of interest for readers. Readers are being encouraged to make suggestions sent in an e-mail to the newspaper.
Write an e-mail to the newspaper, In your e-mail
Suggest a topic that you think would be popular
Say why it would be of interest
Explain why it is more relevant/interesting than other topics

Dear Sir/Madam,

I read an advertisement in your newspaper dated on 21st October, 2014. The advertisement asks the readers to suggest a topic for new weekly article. I am writing this e-mail to suggest a fascinating topic for this.

In my opinion, it would be very famous if you can describe about new gadgets which get released every week. You can cover every thing from a watch to a very expensive laptop.

The readers will find it interesting for two main reasons. Firstly, in the contemporary world, people are most desired about the latest gadgets in the market. Even if they are not going to buy, most of them want to be up to date about everything that's coming into the streets.

I feel this topic would be superior to any other topic because we have a huge number of gadgets releasing every week and you can choose the best among those to cover about. Moreover, we never find information about all these gadgets at one place in any other newspaper.

Looking forward for an approval from you,

Yours faithfully,
Tafazzul
lingxia

Re: Exam on 26th Sep, need some tips.. PLEASE!!!

Post by lingxia »

QQ图片20150923221356.png
QQ图片20150923221356.png (47.83 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
In the end, we will be judged by the courage of our hearts
lingxia

Post by lingxia »

QQ图片20150923223839.png
QQ图片20150923223839.png (26.06 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
In the end, we will be judged by the courage of our hearts
Teacher

Post by Teacher »

Dear Taffazul

“The private motor vehicle has greatly improved individual freedom of movement. Moreover, the automobile has become a status symbol. Yet the use of private motor vehicles has contributed to some of today's most serious problems. How can the use of private motor vehicles be reduced?”

Your essay hasn't really answered the question and would lose marks on task completion. The first two sentences are background information, and while you can mention them in your essay, the focus of the essay must be how to reduce the use of private motor vehicles.

You touch on two ideas in your fourth paragraph—individuals and governments—but the ideas are not developed. You could expand these ideas into a paragraph each.

1) Reduction can be imposed or forced on society by government laws and taxes such as increasing the cost of fuel or vehicles, making it harder to get a driving licence, laws about when you can use your own car or bike (like a curfew) and how many people must travel together.

2) Reduction could be effected by individuals/society by changing habits. Think about why people use private motor vehicles (to get to work/school, carry shopping, pleasure etc) and then how those uses could be reduced (work from home/car share/home delivery/local buses etc).

Good luck in your forthcoming exam – just remember to answer the question.

Teacher Jill
ieltsexchange.com
tafazzul1414

Post by tafazzul1414 »

lingxia wrote:
QQ图片20150923221356.png
Hi lingxia,

I am really thankful for you comments and I hope not to repeat these mistakes in the exam. I could see you have used a lot of linking words.

Thanks,
tafazzul1414

Post by tafazzul1414 »

Teacher wrote:Dear Taffazul

“The private motor vehicle has greatly improved individual freedom of movement. Moreover, the automobile has become a status symbol. Yet the use of private motor vehicles has contributed to some of today's most serious problems. How can the use of private motor vehicles be reduced?”

Your essay hasn't really answered the question and would lose marks on task completion. The first two sentences are background information, and while you can mention them in your essay, the focus of the essay must be how to reduce the use of private motor vehicles.

You touch on two ideas in your fourth paragraph—individuals and governments—but the ideas are not developed. You could expand these ideas into a paragraph each.

1) Reduction can be imposed or forced on society by government laws and taxes such as increasing the cost of fuel or vehicles, making it harder to get a driving licence, laws about when you can use your own car or bike (like a curfew) and how many people must travel together.

2) Reduction could be effected by individuals/society by changing habits. Think about why people use private motor vehicles (to get to work/school, carry shopping, pleasure etc) and then how those uses could be reduced (work from home/car share/home delivery/local buses etc).

Good luck in your forthcoming exam – just remember to answer the question.

Teacher Jill
ieltsexchange.com

Hi Jill,

Thanks for your feedback. I will definitely answer the question from now on.