Writings task 2 - Starting to learn another language at primary or secondary school

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
Ecro

Writings task 2 - Starting to learn another language at primary or secondary school

Post by Ecro »

It is believed that it is better for children to to learn a new language at primary school rather than secondary school and I totally agree with it. However, some disagree.
On the one hand, starting to learn a new language at secondary school might be seen as as a logical option, because by that time, the pupils will have learnt their primary language well enough, and can put more time into learning another. In addition, the students should be mature enough to realize how important languages are, and will not neglect their studies. Although I'd have to disagree and say that if their parents made them study hard at primary school, they'd not neglect their studies.
On the other hand, starting to learn a new language at primary school seems like a more sensible decision to me. Firstly, at this early age they'd have a lot of free time for extracurricular studies, and it'd pay them off in the long run if they spent it wisely, studying a new language. Secondly, they'd be able to become very fluent in that language, and could visit another country or even study at university in a given country where that language is spoken. Thirdly, people at that age are very friendly, and could meet peers from all around the world who speak that language, helping them to become better people, get to know different cultures, and most importantly learn things about themselves.
To sum up, learning a new language at an early age is very important in my opinion, because it makes pupils more well-rounded people, and teaches them how to be respectful of different cultures and opinions.
Last edited by Ecro on Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Writings task 2 - Starting to learn another language at primary or secondary school

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Ecro,
This is a very good essay. I think that you have picked out the key arguments and provided some development.
Well done!
David
Ecro

Re: Writings task 2 - Starting to learn another language at primary or secondary school

Post by Ecro »

David.IELTS.Examiner wrote:Hi Ecro,
This is a very good essay. I think that you have picked out the key arguments and provided some development.
Well done!
David
Thank you for your feedback!