GT - Writing Task 1 - Comments/Score?

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
paperheart

GT - Writing Task 1 - Comments/Score?

Post by paperheart »

Write a letter to an English teacher whom you know and ask to borrow a few English books to help a child of your friends to study.
Please say:
-Give details of the child
-when and where do you plan to teach him/her?
-what books do you want to borrow?

Dear Mr Ally,
How have you been? I hope you are doing well, so are the students of yours. I am helping a child of my friend, Sam on his English subject. Sam is 12 years old and he just moved to Calgary 6 months ago. His primary language is Mandarin and Cantonese as he was born and raised in a Chinese family. Hence, his dad would like me to help him improving his English.

I intend to start the tutoring in middle of June. This is because I foresee Sam needs approximately of two months to gain relevant and basic knowledge in English. That is the timeline that we have agreed on and I supposed he would able to go for his final examination in middle of September. Apart from this, we will be having this English tutoring session at his HighSchool. This is because it has sufficient studying materials and equipments like books, tables and chairs. Therefore, I believe that would be the best option for the venue.

Since you are an experienced English lecturer, I would like to borrow a few books from you to assist me on the tutoring. English grammar and vocabulary (both in beginner level) will be my first choice as he needs to build on his grammar and vocabulary. Also, it would be highly appreciated if you could also recommend any other English books that are suitable for him.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,
John
andytruong1202

Re: GT - Writing Task 1 - Comments/Score?

Post by andytruong1202 »

paperheart wrote:Write a letter to an English teacher whom you know and ask to borrow a few English books to help a child of your friends to study.
Please say:
-Give details of the child
-when and where do you plan to teach him/her?
-what books do you want to borrow?

Dear Mr Ally,
How have you been? I hope you are doing well, so are the students of yours (do you really need to mention his students' well-being?). I am helping a child of my friend, Sam on his English subject. Sam is 12 years old and his family just moved to Calgary 6 months ago. His primary language is Mandarin and Cantonese as he was born and raised in a Chinese family. Hence, his dad would like me to help him improve his English (is native in Chinese a reason for his dad to ask for your help?).

I plan to start the tutoring in middle of June. This is because I foresee Sam needs approximately two months to gain relevant and basic knowledge in English. That is the timeline that we have agreed on and I supposed he would able to go for his final examination in middle of September. Apart from this, we will be having this English tutoring session at his HighSchool (really? for a 12 year old?). This is because it has sufficient studying materials and equipments like books, tables and chairs. Therefore, I believe that would be the best option for the venue.

Since you are an experienced English lecturer, I would like to borrow a few books from you to assist me on the tutoring. English grammar and vocabulary (both in beginner level) will be my first choice as he needs to build on his grammar and vocabulary. Also, it would be highly appreciated if you could also recommend any other English books that are suitable for him.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,
John
May I know what score you got in your last exam?
paperheart

Re: GT - Writing Task 1 - Comments/Score?

Post by paperheart »

Hi andytruong,

I have yet to take the exam.