PLEASE KINDLY ASSESS MY WRITING TASK 2 - POWER OF ADVERTISING

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
hollanda

PLEASE KINDLY ASSESS MY WRITING TASK 2 - POWER OF ADVERTISING

Post by hollanda »

Today, the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Some people believe that the high sale volumes of popular products are the result of advertising strategies but not the true demands of customers. Although, this notion is plausible to some extent, I incline towards to the view that the vast majority of customers still decide to buy things mainly due to their real needs.

To begin with, there are several reasons why advertising programmes can manipulate customers and lead to their unnecessary spending. The first one must be the persuasive power of advertising. Advertisements are often produced using visual aids, engaging music and even famous actors, which appears to be pretty trustworthy. For instance, after watching an advertisement about running machines, in which they offer numerous benefits of running, my brother quickly decided to buy one. However, he later realized that he had wasted a great deal of money because running outdoors is much more advantageous than using the machine. Secondly, the frequent broadcast of advertising programmes also contributes to the increasing likelihood of buying dispensable goods. If an advertisement is repeatedly shown on television, it may be likely to provoke curiosity in viewers. As a result, they might end up purchasing things without real needs in order to content their curiosity.

Nevertheless, I believe that most purchasers are buying things based on their true demands. The most obvious reason is that in this era of advanced information technology, people have incalculable sources of information to assess a certain product before buying it. To give a clear illustration, many online websites provide users with thorough and comprehensive criticism of a similar product from different manufacturers, which entitles them to make a wise choice. Furthermore, the propensity to listen to acquaintances from social circle also prevents us from buying things impulsively. A bad reputation brand will not be able to pass on their products no matter how attractive their advertisements are.

In conclusion, although it is clearly evident that advertising can affect buyers’ attitude towards goods to a certain extent, I am convinced that customers’ final decisions are still made on their genuine demands.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: PLEASE KINDLY ASSESS MY WRITING TASK 2 - POWER OF ADVERTISING

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Hollanda!

Introduction - Good! Words like 'plausible', 'vast majority' and 'mainly' are exactly the kind of words that need to be used in T2 essays.

The rest of the essay is VERY good! You explain how advertising can convince people to buy things and how advertisers do not have everything their own way.

Well done!
David
hollanda

Post by hollanda »

Hi David,

Thank you for your feedback on my essay. It really stimulates me. For me, it is just really rare can I write a nice piece so I still need more practice.

Thank for your great help again!

Regards,
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Post by Flick »

hollanda wrote:Today, the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Some people believe that the high sale volumes of popular products are the result of advertising strategies but not the true demands of customers. Although, this notion is plausible to some extent, I incline towards to the view that the vast majority of customers still decide to buy things mainly due to their real needs.

To begin with, there are several reasons why advertising programmes can manipulate customers and lead to their unnecessary spending. The first one is the persuasive power of advertising. Advertisements are often produced using visual aids, engaging music and even famous actors, thus appearing to be pretty trustworthy. For instance, after watching an advertisement about running machines in which they offer numerous benefits of running, my brother quickly decided to buy one. However, he later realized that he had wasted a great deal of money because running outdoors is much more advantageous than using the machine. Secondly, the frequent broadcast of advertising programmes also contributes to the increasing likelihood of buying disposable goods. If an advertisement is repeatedly shown on television, it may be likely to provoke curiosity in viewers. As a result, they might end up purchasing things without real need in order to sate their curiosity.

Nevertheless, I believe that most purchasers are buying things based on their true needs. The most obvious reason is that in this era of advanced information technology, people have incalculable sources of information to assess a certain product before buying it. To give a clear illustration, many online websites provide users with thorough and comprehensive criticism of a similar product from different manufacturers, which enables them to make a wise choice. Furthermore, the propensity to listen to acquaintances from our social circle also prevents us from buying things impulsively. A brand with a bad reputation will not be able to sell their products no matter how attractive their advertisements are.

In conclusion, although it is clearly evident that advertising can affect buyers’ attitudes towards goods to a certain extent, I am convinced that customers’ final decisions are still made on their genuine demands.