Please comment on my letter

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
abbasazarmehrput

Please comment on my letter

Post by abbasazarmehrput »

Writing task 1

On a recent holiday you lost a valuable item. Fortunately you have travel insurance to cover the cost of anything lost.
Write a letter to the manager of your insurance company. In your letter

• Describe the item you lost
• Explain how you lost it
• Tell the insurance company what you would like them to do

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing with regard to my mobile phone which I lost in my last trip to Istanbul. It was Samsung Galaxy Note III which I purchased from one the most famous malls in the western part of Tehran, Iran. It was decorated by precious stones and totally costs USD 250.

I lost this gadget when I was in Istanbul for a one-week vacation. My partner and I decided to go to Top Kapi, and I left all our possessions including my mobile phone in the hotel’s safe. Unfortunately my cell phone was not in the safe when we came back to the hotel. It might have been stolen.

I was wondering if you could possibly pay the amount of money I spent for buying this item by a crossed cheque because all my belongings were insured by your company.

In the end, thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Faithfully yours,

Abbas Azarmehr
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Please comment on my letter

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Abbas,

Sometimes these letters can be a little tricky. Yours is a good letter BUT if you are claiming insurance you need to include some other details, like the policy number. 'I was in a hotel and I lost it' isn't really going to work with most insurance companies.

With T1 letters, imagine what information the recipient is expecting. What questions are they asking when they receive your letter?

All the best,
David
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Re: Please comment on my letter

Post by Flick »

abbasazarmehrput wrote:Writing task 1

On a recent holiday you lost a valuable item. Fortunately you have travel insurance to cover the cost of anything lost.
Write a letter to the manager of your insurance company. In your letter

• Describe the item you lost
• Explain how you lost it
• Tell the insurance company what you would like them to do

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing with regard to my mobile phone which I lost during my last trip to Istanbul. It was a Samsung Galaxy Note III which I purchased from one of the most famous malls in the western part of Tehran, Iran. It was decorated with precious stones and cost $USD250.

I lost this gadget when I was in Istanbul for a one-week vacation. My partner and I decided to go to Top Kapi, and I left all our possessions including my mobile phone in the hotel’s safe. Unfortunately my cell phone was not in the safe when we came back to the hotel. It might have been stolen.

I was wondering if you could possibly pay the amount of money I spent on this item by a crossed cheque because all my belongings are insured by your company.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Faithfully yours,

Abbas Azarmehr