Writing task 2: Topic - Media

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
jayzeelou

Writing task 2: Topic - Media

Post by jayzeelou »

At present the media affects people’s lives significantly.

What impact does this have on society? Is it a negative or positive development?

Ever since the dawn of mass communication, media has become a highly influencial factor in the community. It is believed that the media has a direct effect on how a person lives his life. In addition, It can be accessed by everyone through, televisions, radio programs, printed papers, mobile gadgets and the internet. Looking at it in a global perspective, it has  coverage to millions of people which can easily be bombarded with all sorts of information.

Through this pheomenon, media has created certain degree of control over society. It dictates on how a person should look, how they dress, what to eat,what the current trend is, how they should live, what sort of car you need and etc. Take for instance, advertising companies has created a benchmark on how a perfect woman should look like and how it can be achieved by buying thier cosmetic products. It has implanted society with consumerism and materialism. 

Another factor is that information projected by media completely distracts society. It's coverage is manipulated and can serve as distractions to what really is happening. take for example, it could put celebrity on TV headlines in order to hide the news regarding war, famine and poverty. Instead of covering what is significant, it would portray irrelevant information to society to hide the truth and what the people should be concerned about. 

The string of events is considered to be negative a development. People have become like slaves despite thier freedom. Deprived from the truth and constantly chained to material advertising, constantly trying to pursue something they don't need.

To sum everything up, media has created a society that tries to uphold it's displayed standards, people driven by material and this has created a chain of negative effects. People should not conveniently believe of what is being shown by mass media and not let it grab a hold of how thier lives should be directed. 
jayzeelou

Re: Writing task 2: Topic - Media

Post by jayzeelou »

comments and critics would be lovely. thanks
jayzeelou

Re: Writing task 2: Topic - Education

Post by jayzeelou »

:D
Last edited by jayzeelou on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!
Generally, I want to like this essay, but it is even more one-sided than the essay I just marked about international aid. You clearly think that ALL media behaves in the same way. Is that really true? I agree that you have characterised most of the mainstream media correctly, but, for example, there is plenty of news about war on the mainstream media in Europe.
Slaves? Deprived of the truth? I think you need to support those statements.
Hence, I'm not sure about your conclusion. has the nedia done this or have other elements in society contributed?
All the best,
David
jayzeelou

Post by jayzeelou »

David.IELTS.Examiner wrote:Hello!
Generally, I want to like this essay, but it is even more one-sided than the essay I just marked about international aid. You clearly think that ALL media behaves in the same way. Is that really true? I agree that you have characterised most of the mainstream media correctly, but, for example, there is plenty of news about war on the mainstream media in Europe.
Slaves? Deprived of the truth? I think you need to support those statements.
Hence, I'm not sure about your conclusion. has the nedia done this or have other elements in society contributed?
All the best,
David

Thank you for your comment david. I have a problem with writing these sorts of essays, I tend to get overwhelmed and emotional about it. Sometimes to the point, where i completely shut out other points of views. Thank you for pointing that out for me, I will try to suppress the emotions next time. hehe! btw, thank you for looking at my other essays. My exam is tomorrow and I think i needed this criticism. Thank you once again.