#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: please assess my speaking - a book

Post by lmoore »

Hi, Allen_Zhang
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this book. It sounds like a good read!
Your pronunciation is clear overall, although there were a few times I wasn’t sure what you were saying. For example, it sounded like you were saying “late working” instead of “Networking” when you described what the book was about. Also, after you said it was a bestseller, I couldn’t make out what you were saying.
You demonstrated understanding of some sophisticated vocabulary, like “reaching out to” and “networking.” You said “this book” several times, however. Avoid repeating yourself, as it seems like you don’t know any other words for that idea when you do. Work on finding synonyms to expand your vocabulary.
You said “sales guy,” but a more professional way to say this is “salesman” or “salesperson.”
Verb tenses are an area to improve as well. You said “readed” instead of “read,” for example.
Sentence structure was a problem at times, too. For instance, you said, “was the best seller of ‘New York Times.’” This should be “a ‘New York Times’ bestseller” or “on the ‘New York Times’ bestseller list.” Also, instead of “get success in your life,” you could say that the book teaches you “how to become successful.”
Keep practicing, and you will reach the band score you want!