how can I got 6 or above in reading and listening

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
sawsana sam

how can I got 6 or above in reading and listening

Post by sawsana sam »

Good evening teacher
well am so confused these days because my exam is nt too far
I will take it in 13th of June but I still having problems in reading and listening
I have been taking ielts preparation since the middle of April till now
yesterday I got score 4 in listening section even in reading but I got band score 7 in speaking and writing
how can I improve myself in both of these sections
can I pass next exam ..I think I still have time
it's 21 days
I have to take exam in June coz I don't need to miss scholarship
thank u
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: how can I got 6 or above in reading and listening

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hi Sam,
To be perfectly honest, being a band 4 in reading and listening, but a band 7 in speaking and writing would be extremely unusual. For example, a band 4 would barely understand the questions in part 3 of the speaking test, so answering them at band 7 level would be almost impossible.
Are these official IELTS scores that you got?
I'm afraid that if you really are band 4 in listening and reading, and have already truly studied for a long time, moving to band 7 in 3 weeks is not going to happen.
Given the sample of writing that you provided in your question, you are nowhere near band 7 in writing. That leads me to suggest that whoever is giving you band scores has no idea what they are talking about.
Sorry to give you such bad news, but this might serve an example of why candidates should get real professional advice well in advance of taking the test.
Best of luck and feel free to come back with any questions.
David
sawsana sam

Post by sawsana sam »

Well teacher ..I can understand listening section easily but my problem in how can I listen and write at the same time ..I can pass the first and second section but I face difficulty in section 4 because the type of questions to fill gaps and if I miss the fist question of it I can't answer the rest
and about ielts scores that I have put ..I make test by my self in reading and listening sections ..
yet the other scores were given by instuctor of IELTS preparation that I have taken these days
and I will upload something that I have written
and please give me your opinion about it ?
I'm trying to ameliorate my self in weakness points as I discussed above
so can you give me a good plan to improve these skills in 20 days
thank you
sawsana sam

Post by sawsana sam »

the diagram illustrates steps to build your own water oclock in a pastoral way, so that you need many items including : two plastic bottles and stand to link both of it by using tape.
To initiate this process ; you attach the first bottle at the top of stand and make a tiny hole at the bottom , you have to make another one at side precisely to glue the strew .
Afterwards, cut off the second bottle's neck and put it below the maiden one at
the same stand.

After you furnish tools , turn the tap on and cover the hole at the bottom of the zenith bottle with your finger , later fill it with water to overflow through the strew .This stage will retrain constant levels of water in the bottle , subsequently keep your finger away from the hole to permis water drip into the second one .Write
down marks that you do by using a pen to see the level of water after per minute
.When you notice that the bottle is full and you make sign post each moment ,
empty it .
ultimately you think for the first time is sophisticating stages to follow it, but if
you concentrate on it carefully you will repeat this easily for timing things.
IAAO

Post by IAAO »

Honestly , from my experience , when I decided to take ielts for the first time my English level was lower intermediate and my scores in listening and reading were usually between 5.5 and 6 . After practicing for two months , I noticed a visible improvement and I achieved 7 in each in the ielts test . However my problem was still in writing .

My advice to you ,if your problem in understanding the meaning , it is better to spend more time to improve your general knowledge .
And if it is in the test techniques , I recommend to learn about the different types of questions It goes with you step by step and you will cover all the type of questions .

Best of luck
Last edited by IAAO on Fri May 22, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sawsana sam

Post by sawsana sam »

Thank you
well yesterday I practiced too much on listening by watching bbc channel ...I didn't face any trial to understand every word of news even I wrote it correctly but sm ppl told me it's waste of time ...and I must answer listening exams instead of it but I didn't have it ..even I suffered from interruption of electricity it just comes 6 hours daily ..I lived in Gaza guys ..it's nt easy to follow every step so can I get some help to answer listening tests instead of using Internet ..thank u
Luma7

Post by Luma7 »

Sawsana.. I Suggest to download the listening tests then do them later. So, you don't need internet connection.
Best wishes for you and your hard work, it is not easy to prepare in such conditions but you can do it with your dedication.
Good luck
L8 R7 (W6) S7
Saturday 16th of may
L 8 R 7.5 WRITING 7.5 S 7.5
Thanks to Ryan's writing blog :)
IAAO

Post by IAAO »

Well , I have a good idea . Do everyday one official exam as you are in real test situation . Start with listening , reading , writing then speaking , it will take about 3 hours .
For the rest of your day . Concentrate on your weakness points . For example , if you have problem wit reading , train yourself on skipping and scanning methods .
I believe that with this way you will see an improvement from the first week , but as I said belfore , if you don't have any idea about the exam techniques I recommend to you to spend more time first .
sawsana sam

Post by sawsana sam »

Thank you guys for helping I really appreciate it
Am trying to do all my best to concentrate on my weakness points and find good procedures to improve it for better
I wonder if anyone has links relating to listening and reading exams so I can download and practice
thank you
sawsana