Will my IELTS exam get canceled, or my marks decrease?

Have you taken the IELTS recently? Share your questions with other students here.
Faisal0900

Will my IELTS exam get canceled, or my marks decrease?

Post by Faisal0900 »

Hi. Just 9 days ago I took the IELTS. In the writing task 2 part of the exam, the essay question was about water shortages in the world.

I'm taking geography as an a-level so this sort of topic is the kind of topic that I've studied, therefore I know a lot about it.

As I was talking about water shortages, I wrote down facts and numbers to give evidence to my reasons.

I mentioned and talked about the percentages of malnourished populations from different parts of the World, and the areas that lack clean supply of water.

For instance I mentioned that 9% of the Mexican population does not have a clean water supply, and that 5% of them are malnourished. I used figures to back up my point that a lot of less developed countries don't have clean supply of water because their resources are limited.

Since I added data into my essay, does that mean that they'll disqualify me or lower my marks because they MIGHT think that I've read previous exam questions and memorized my answers? (which I did not. I barely had any time to study for the exam to begin with!)

I'm just really worried and I like for someone to help me figure this out, please...
pakspin

Re: Will my IELTS exam get canceled, or my marks decrease?

Post by pakspin »

no, dont worry..as long as u are writing in your own words, u can use any persons points, figures n facts data etc.. same as u obtain info from books
petryworn

Re: Will my IELTS exam get canceled, or my marks decrease?

Post by petryworn »

It's totally fine as long as it is in the Task 2 of the Writing Task 2. If it's in the Task 1, which is about interpreting data from a graph or chart, you will be marked wrong. It's good to know that you have some knowledge on the given topic since you can elaborate more. Be sure your words meet the 250 requirement.

If you want to know how your scores in the IELTS are calculated, please visit http://www.slideshare.net/stephlowe91/h ... s-computed.