First/ third person? (Academic)

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
FlapJack

First/ third person? (Academic)

Post by FlapJack »

Hi

This may come across as a silly question to you guys but am I allowed to address myself in first person in the Writing component of the Academic test? It seems strange to refer to myself as a third person if the question specifically asks for 'my opinion'. Should I instead use phrases like, 'the author is of the opinion' or 'the author strongly advocates' etc.?

Thanks guys!! :)
Ryan

Re: First/ third person? (Academic)

Post by Ryan »

Hi FlapJack,

You may use first person to write your thesis. However, overuse of personal tone can make your essay sound more like a letter than an academic piece. Avoid phrases like:

"We as humans need to change our ways."
"Pollution is a problem in our world."
"You and I need to think about what we are doing to the environment."
pinmikaa

Re: First/ third person? (Academic)

Post by pinmikaa »

As you told in above, it is a right way to choosing the structure of the essay. Since it is a cause and solution essay, you have to find out more and more causes and solutions for the essay writing about the essay topic. So you have to take more effort for writing the essay.
We are the pioneers in providing certkillenetwork plus - testking r toefl and testking exams with ccna exam exam pass guarantee. Download our latest passguide gmat and examsheets ccna or pass real exam of selftestengine ccna.