writing questions 21st june INDIA

Have you taken the IELTS recently? Share your questions with other students here.
durai

writing questions 21st june INDIA

Post by durai »

task 1;
Your employer have arranged a computer training course for you next month, but you cannot go for personal reasons.

Write a letter to your employer.

Tell how this course would be useful to you
Why cannot attend
Suggest some other time

Task 2: very weird question, just managed to answer

Some countries, young people of eighteen years are allowed to do things such as vote, drive car, or marry. In some other countries they have to be older.

What you think the age should be to take adult responsibilities?

I found bit difficult at exam situations....i don't know how they get such kind of questions...

intro : i said age 24 is better

suporting para 1: said age 18 not good- due to immature--gave example of nephew - accident-while racing- so 18 is inappropriate

supporting para 2: age 24-when university completed- more mature-gave my own life example- so positive - 24 is best

conclusion- said - a drawback of giving responsibilities at age 18 - benefit of age 24- the my suggestion to implement such age for giving adult roles
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
raj.agrawal

Re: writing questions 21st june INDIA

Post by raj.agrawal »

Used a discussion style format.
IELTS(G) : Awaited - (Oct 2014)
IELTS(G) : Awaited - (Sep 2014)
IELTS(G) : L:8.5 R:7.5 W:7.5 S: 7.0 (Aug 2014)
IELTS(G) : L:8.5 R:8.0 W:7.5 S:8.0 (Jun 2014)
IELTS(G) : L:9.0 R:8.5 W:7.5 S:7.5 (Mar 2014)
asmi

Post by asmi »

i also found it bit odd...used same argument discussion format...
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

durai wrote:task 1;
Your employer have arranged a computer training course for you next month, but you cannot go for personal reasons.

Write a letter to your employer.

Tell how this course would be useful to you
Why cannot attend
Suggest some other time

Task 2: very weird question, just managed to answer

Some countries, young people of eighteen years are allowed to do things such as vote, drive car, or marry. In some other countries they have to be older.

I found bit difficult at exam situations....i don't know how they get such kind of questions...

intro : i said age 24 is better

suporting para 1: said age 18 not good- due to immature--gave example of nephew - accident-while racing- so 18 is inappropriate

supporting para 2: age 24-when university completed- more mature-gave my own life example- so positive - 24 is best

conclusion- said - a drawback of giving responsibilities at age 18 - benefit of age 24- the my suggestion to implement such age for giving adult roles
Structure looks good, Durai. Thanks for sharing the experience. You say you found these questions a bit difficult. How difficult were the Listening, Reading and Speaking tests?
durai

Post by durai »

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your response.
I never had nay problem with Listening and Reading , usually I get band 8+ and this time will be same.

But I finished writing , but no time to check back my work, but I wrote with good coherence and both supporting paragraph have my own personal experiences, still may be grammar, if i would checked my work, then probably 7, at this stage I am not sure.

In regards to speaking,its alright, but tense mistakes at three places in part 1, I realized after speaking that particular question.
last time I received band 7, i am expecting the same this time as well.

anyway, have to wait for 13 days. also, I applied EOR of my last test, so both comes out almost same time, looking forward to get through in at least one..

Thanks
Durai
allen_zhang

Post by allen_zhang »

Durai,
Good luck. Hope you will make it.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
Lili

Post by Lili »

Hi durai
Plz guide me how can i improve my reading level? Is there any trick for reading the text faster or I have to start with questions at first?
cranford cliff

Post by cranford cliff »

hi durai ,
i don't think task two was so weird , because IELTS exams often have 'child development' and educational type topics, in writing and speaking ('compare children's and adults...').
Anyway , in this type of question , if they give you examples - voting, driving and marrying - you should always look carefully at these examples and address them specifically in your answer. The examples are there to help you , and can give a structure: one paragraph on each .
To me, 24 seems far too old to let people vote and marry (and drive for that matter), but provided you can argue each case , with reasons and examples, then the answer should be coherent. The age you choose is not so important, or not important at all (?), because you are not being marked for content. But the more extreme position you take, the less easy it is to make a coherent case.
kannu

Post by kannu »

hi durai
i am impressed about your score in listening and reading. please give me some suggestion to improve. if can help i will be grateful to you as i scored 6in reading and 7 in listening
durai

Post by durai »

Hi,

For Listening- you need to practice more....if you are at band 7 level---then stop answering the question, but just listen and check whether you recall that particular section , say question 31 - 36; listen more then if you understand all the contents in any sections then you can easily reach band 8+

For Reading-- understanding the text is really important; Skim the text quickly- I would say for Academic reading passage 1 , take no more than 2 minutes to go through- before that just look at questions, so that while reading underline the keywords that you came across in the question; when you start , the answers will come in sequence for each section of questions, so you can easily avoid re-reading the same passage to locate the answers.

Don't forget to analyse the wrong answers after correction, which is really mandatory to improve your reading skill.

Hope this helps..

Durai
johnsky

Post by johnsky »

For Listening- you need to practice more....if you are at band 7 level---then stop answering the question, but just listen and check whether you recall that particular section , say question 31 - 36; listen more then if you understand all the contents in any sections then you can easily reach band 8+
Hi, I am getting band 7 but finding it difficult to get band 8. So what you are suggesting is that we answer the question after we listen to one particular section, OK will try it. As we were told that we need to write as we listen, this strategy is different.
itsdeepesh

Post by itsdeepesh »

Can anyone check and rate this essay, please ? I welcome your feedback.

In Some countries, young people of eighteen years are allowed to do things such as vote, drive car, or marry. In some other countries they have to be older.

Every country has its own policies related to age restrictions for adult duties. While few countries support 18 years as the minimum age, in my own view, I believe it should be restriction of minimum 21 years old for basic duties like being voter, driver and be allowed to get married. It can be illustrated looking at how a 21 year old can understand responsibilities better and how it helps nation to alleviate population, accidents and other domestic issues.

Firstly, a 21 year old would be more responsible than 18 year old while deciding the President during election days. Moreover, a matured person can be a responsible driver. My cousin who is 19 year old, for example, was involved in an accident recently in USA and he had four driving penalties in last two years. I always felt meeting him that he should have been more matured before he could get his license. Additionally, during 18th year, most youth concentrate on starting their career and focus on finishing their study. Allowing them to get married in that age usually become an immature decision and affect their career negatively. Therefore, it is clear that instead of 18, 21st year is a better age since people are responsible.

Secondly, lower age for marriage and adulthood has various ramifications over countries growth. For example, in developing world, girls who are 18 years old, are getting married and giving birth to the child early, which in turns catalyses the population growth. Understand that if minimum age will be 21, the girl's would have enough time for studies and will help reducing the population growth as well. It is obvious that 21 year old would contribute to better safety rules than 18 year old. Thus, it is clear from the above example that
having older age for adult duties will benefit the nation and help avoid other common issues.

At last, It can be seen from above arguments that having older age like 21, will not just benefit citizens being responsible but also help country to deal with issues like population growth, road accidents etc. Thus, I predict, sooner or later, all countries will analyze these concerns before finalizing their own policy.
durai

Post by durai »

Hi Jonhnsky,

yes, you need to write answer as you Listen, but just to improve your listening skills, just listen to whole section and try to recall what was spoken....

then you would get some strategy to listen for key words...when answering questions...

Durai
kannu

Post by kannu »

hello durai
thank u for your good advise. it really helped me in listening as i always think to writing answer and forget to listening it properly. for reading i can just say trying hard as always got confused with true/false and the heading section.
anyways thank u so so much again
kannu
himbehl

Post by himbehl »

Hello Deepesh. How much band u got in this topic
Sadnezzz

Post by Sadnezzz »

:D