task 2< men and women equal>

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
durai

task 2< men and women equal>

Post by durai »

Employers should ensure there are equal number of males and females in managerial posts in companies. To what extent do you agree or disagree.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feminism, a word triggered many a debate, has challenged many traditional concepts and raised various relevant issues. One of them is their roles in management positions, and many argue that companies should have female employees equal to male counterparts. To my mind, any job positions, including managerial posts should be filled with their own criteria, but should not be based on the gender.

To begin with, some argue that employers who recruit for management positions should maintain the same number of men and women to provide equal rights to the latter. For example, in many organisations in India such as Kingfisher and KPN travels have high number of male employees than female. Besides this, many women who are working in these companies proved that they are contributing to the company’s growth more than men. From this it is understandable why employers should have equal number of workers based on gender.

However, in my opinion, not only managerial but also other positions should be based on individuals’ skills and qualification. For instance, different jobs have different eligibility criteria. If a man possesses a high degree, relevant experience and passed all the stages of the interview, then he should have this job than women who unable to prove her skills and experience. Thus, it is clear that any position, including management should not be gender biased.

It can be concluded that any jobs need to fulfil certain requirements, and the person who satisfy such requirements should be recruited. The argument cannot be justified if it is merely based on gender. It is hoped that employers will offer a job based on eligibility, but not on gender in the future.
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
allen_zhang

Re: task 2< men and women equal>

Post by allen_zhang »

Employers should ensure there are equal number of males and females in managerial posts in companies. To what extent do you agree or disagree.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feminism, a word triggered many a debate, has challenged many traditional concepts and raised various relevant issues. One of them is their roles in management positions, and many argue that companies should have female employees(managers) equal to male counterparts. To my mind, any job positions, including managerial posts should be filled with their own criteria, but should not be based on the gender.

#1 You are asked to talk about "managerial posts" but not "all job positions".
#2 be filled with criteria?

To begin with, some argue that employers who recruit for management positions should maintain the same number of men and women to provide equal rights to the latter. For example, in many organisations in India such as Kingfisher and KPN travels have high number of male employees than female. Besides this, many women who are working in these companies proved that they are contributing to the company’s growth more than men. From this it is understandable why employers should have equal number of workers based on gender.
#3 To be honest, I don't know what are you talking about.
higher proportion of male employees than female ones --> then the number should be equal??
More importantly, you are not talking about managerial posts at all!

However, in my opinion, not only managerial but also other positions should be based on individuals’ skills and qualification. For instance, different jobs have different eligibility criteria. If a man possesses a high degree, relevant experience and passed all the stages of the interview, then he should have this job than women who unable to prove her skills and experience. Thus, it is clear that any position, including management should not be gender biased.

It can be concluded that any jobs need to fulfil certain requirements, and the person who satisfy such requirements should be recruited. The argument cannot be justified if it is merely based on gender. It is hoped that employers will offer a job based on eligibility, but not on gender in the future.

Hi Durai,
just my personal understanding of this piece: the task response is pretty poor.

I'll try to write my version later today.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
allen_zhang

Post by allen_zhang »

Even in this day when gender equality is highly valued, the management sector of many companies and organizations is still a male dominated world. While some people attribute this to gender discrimination and argue that companies should offer the same number of managerial posts to females, from my point of view, simply requesting the same number of male and female mangers in a company is not a good solution to this.

The main reason why some people suggest to recruiting the same number of males and females in managerial posts is that they believe females are discriminated in this area. Personally, I agree that this discrimination does exist. Females are often viewed as weaker and less determinative than their male counterparts, and this is probably why many employers prefer to choose a man as the CEO of their company. The unfortunate fact is that many female candidates who are just as strong and competent or even better than their male rivals lose their opportunity to become a leader in company due to the gender discrimination in this field. From this, it is understandable why some people advocate recruiting equal number of men and women in managerial posts.

However, to correct a mistake does not mean we have to go to another extreme. As far as I am concerned, recruiting equal number of male and female managers could also be a violation to the belief of social equality. To be specific, when a company is trying to hire a top manager, what most people would agree is that the most suitable and competent candidate should be chosen. If a perfect candidate is rejected just because of his or her gender, it would be unfair to the candidate and would not be a wise decision for the employer.

In conclusion, I agree that gender discrimination is a problem in the managerial world, but recruiting equal number of men and women would not be a good solution to it.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
durai

Post by durai »

Hi Allen,

I was thinking the same after finished my essay, i was not satisfied, i know examples may not convince the examiner,

I think if I take just one side and say for example, " there should be equal number of men and women at managerial posts"

then I just talk about

1. need to give equal rights- women were not given any independence in the past and so on..
2. if not same numbers, then male domination starts again in the company administration.

basically, discrimination and domination, so it is better to have equal number..

about your essay:

easy to understand, not many mistakes...task response is fine; should be band 7+

anyway..I keep reading essays....
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7