letter < essay not completed>

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
durai

letter < essay not completed>

Post by durai »

You were given an essay form a teacher of an evening class. You didn’t finish the essay. So write to the teacher include:
Subject of the essay
Why you can’t finish it
How you can submit it

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr.Smith,

I am Durai, and I am writing to inform that I am unable to submit my essay on the due date. Please allow me to explain the reasons.

As you know, the essay topic was “Ants in Australia” in which I suppose to do a small research about ants living in that country. The submission deadline is 17th June, and the time you gave us is sufficient, but I am afraid I cannot produce my work on time due to the reasons I mentioned below.

Actually, what happened was my mother, after a minor accident, was hospitalized, and I was the only person able to look after her. So I stayed with her for the last two weeks, and therefore did not find time to complete my work.

Fortunately, yesterday, my sister came from overseas, and she is taking care of our mother. So I can concentrate completely on my assignment and able to finish it within 6 days from now. So, please allow me to submit my essay on 21st June.

Looking forward for your favorable reply.

Yours sincerely,

Durai
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
allen_zhang

Re: letter < essay not completed>

Post by allen_zhang »

Hi Durai,
Some personal understandings:
Some of them are not mistakes, just the way I would like to do. You can comment on them.

Dear Mr.Smith,

I am Durai, and I am writing to inform you that I am unable to submit my essay on the due date. Please allow me to explain the reasons.

I looked many letters written by native speakers and never see anyone uses:"I am ..." even if you are asked to introduce yourself, maybe it is because the fact that you will write your name at the end of this letter.
Anyway, I assume it is fine to write "I am Durai".

As you know, the essay topic was is?“Ants in Australia” in which I suppose toam supposed? to do a small I would remove small research about ants living in that country. The submission deadline is 17th June, and the time you gave us is sufficientI would say:"which means I have been given sufficient time on my essay", but I am afraid I cannot produce my work on time due to the reasons I mentioned below.I would start another sentence : However, I am afraid that I cannot deliver my work on time because of an emergency.

I usually use:" I am supposed to" but not "I suppose". I use "I suppose" only when I want to replace "I guess".

Actually, what happened was my mother, after a minor accident, was hospitalized, and I was the only person able to look after her.
When I read this sentence, what I got is:" Actually, what happened was my mother...", this is quite confusion.
I would word it like this: " Actually, It was an accident happened to my mother".
"My mother had a minor accident 2 weeks ago and was hospitalized" would be simpler..

So I stayed with her for the last two weeks, and therefore did not find time to complete my work.

Fortunately, yesterday, my sister came from overseas, and she is taking care of our mother now. So I can concentrate completely on my assignment and able to finish it within 6 days from now. So, please allow me to submit my essay on 21st June.

Looking forward for your favorable reply.

Yours sincerely,

Durai

I'll post my version later.
Last edited by allen_zhang on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
allen_zhang

Post by allen_zhang »

Dear Mr. Smith,
I am writing to inform you that I will be unable to submit my essay on the due date - 05 May 2014.

The essay topic I chose is "The difference between Linux and real time operate systems" and I have been working on it for 2 weeks since it was assigned. I have got a great progress on it and I was very confident that I will be able to submit it before the deadline . However, I am afraid that I won't be able to deliver it on time because of an urgent work commitment.

As I stated in my course application form, I have a full-time job at an international IT company as a team leader. Currently, my company is on the verge of signing a big contract with a new client in Beijing. Last week, I was informed that I will join the team which is being sent to Beijing to negotiate terms and conditions of this important contract. So, I will be out of Shenzhen for about 2 weeks. Because of this, I cannot continue with my essay in this two weeks.

I will try to finish my essay as soon as I get back from Beijing. Hopefully, I will be able to finalize it before 20 May.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused and hope you can understand my situation.

Yours sincerely,
Allen
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
durai

Post by durai »

hi allen,

I have some comments, have a look, discuss if you have any discrepancies..
Dear Mr. Smith,
I am writing to inform you that I will be unable to submit my essay on the due date - 05 May 2014.

The essay topic I chose you have given a topic, it wasn't your choice is "The difference between Linux and real time operate systems" and I have been working on it 'for 2 weeks' is not required because you already said you are working since you got the topic., its a redundant expression since it was assigned. I was progressing well, and I was very confident that I will be able to submit it before the deadline . However, I am afraid that I may not deliver it on time because of an urgent work commitment.

As I stated in my course application form, I have a full-time job at an international IT company is this name of the company?,if yes, use caps and chnage article, if not , it would be better if its a company name as a team leader. Currently, my company is on the verge of signing a big contract with a new client in Beijing. As a result, it may give sentence coherence , in my opinion , I was informed that I need to join the team which will be sent to Beijing to negotiate terms and conditions of this important contract. So, I will be out of Shenzhen for about 2 weeks, and this is the reason why I am unable to submit on the due date.

I will try can we use try, when we are asking extra time to finish my essay as soon as I get back from Beijing. Hopefully, I will be able to send the essay before 20 May.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused and hope you can understand my situation.

Yours sincerely,
Allen
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7