First attempt on Speaking practice

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
paperheart

First attempt on Speaking practice

Post by paperheart »

I've got a band "6" on my first IELTS attempt for Speaking session.
I guess I really need to practise more to get my desired score.
Appreciate on the feedbacks!

Describe a museum you visited. You should say
- Where this museum is situated?
- Why people visit the museum
- What did it look like?
- Why you liked this museum.

Thanks alot!
Attachments
museum.mp3
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 202 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: First attempt on Speaking practice

Post by lmoore »

Hello, Paperheart,
I don’t think you’re going to get only a “6” this time; you will do much better than that, I believe.
Your speaking was slow, but clear, for the most part. Your pronunciation was great, although the word “inspiration” sounded like “eenspeeration.” Make sure to make the short “I” sound, as in the word “hit.” Other than that, you don’t have much of an accent that interferes with the listener understanding you.
You provided good details and support for your answer, really painting a picture of what the museum looks and feels like. You could increase the number of transitions and connectors you use, however. Try “for example,” “for instance,” “in addition,” “finally,” etc.
Your vocabulary is quite good. I heard words like, “passion,” “inspiration,” and “venture,” for example. However, you used the word “huge” at least three times. Repetition can knock your band score down. Find synonyms for common words like “huge.” You could have said “large,” “big,” or even “humongous,” or “gargantuan,” if what you’re talking about was really big.
There were a few problems with sentence structure.
-located in a city center called Lahore – located in the city center of Lahore/located in Lahore’s city center
-venture a better understanding in the world of art – venture to try to understand the world of art better
-huge music note to be placed in the sign board – huge music note that is on the sign/notice board
- Shows off minor performances impersonators of musicians – I’m not sure what an impersonator of a musician is.
-The museum itself looks like a small concert. – The museum itself looks like a small concert HALL.
Best wishes as you continue to practice!
paperheart

Re: First attempt on Speaking practice

Post by paperheart »

Thanks Imoore!
Will take note of the corrections!
Shall keep practising and practising! :)