solution to environmental problems

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
allen_zhang

solution to environmental problems

Post by allen_zhang »

Developments of technology are causing environmental problems. Some people think the solution is that everyone accepts a simpler life, while others believe that technology can solve these problems. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

It is true that many environmental problems such as air pollution and industrial waste are linked to the development of modern technologies like the use of cars and airplanes. While some people believe that adopting simpler lifestyles and avoiding these technologies are the solution of this issue, I think some new technologies can help on it.

On the one hand, to a certain extent, changing of people’s lifestyles can contribute to tackle environmental problems. One solution would be giving up private vehicles and taking public transportation. As the car exhaust fumes are a major source of greenhouse gas, driving less could significantly reduce the car emission and therefore, could protect the environment. Another measure can be taken to reduce pollution is to fly less. Avoiding taking flight to travel around can also result in the decrease of the carbon footprint left by airplanes.

However, although the aforementioned solutions sound great, I just simply doubt that there will be enough people that are willing to live in an old fashion way. I believe the real solution lies in the advancement of new technologies. For example, the development of electric car or hybrid car is an effective way to reduce car exhausts. In recent years, Chinese government has imposed new policies which encourage the use of “green” cars. These actions have been proved to be very successful in mitigating the environmental impact of private vehicles. Furthermore, we have enough reason to believe that in the future humans will finally find a new “green” energy that can entirely replace the fossil fuels. When that day comes, it will be the day that people no longer have to worry about the environmental impact of cars and airplanes.

To conclude, from my personal perspective, the final solution of the environmental problem lies in the technology rather than giving up technology and going back to “stone age”.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
durai

Re: solution to environmental problems

Post by durai »

It is true that many environmental problems such as air pollution and industrial waste are linked to the development of modern technologies with the use of cars and airplanes. While some people believe that adopting simpler lifestyles would resolve environmental issues , I think some new technologies can help on these.

On the one hand, to a certain extent, changing of people’s lifestyles can contribute to tackling environmental problems. This means people would give up private vehicles and take public transportation. When the car exhaust fumes are a major source of greenhouse gas, driving less vehicles could significantly reduce the car emissions thereby, air pollution would deteriorate linearly.

Another measure can be taken to reduce pollution is to fly less. Avoiding taking flight to travel around can also result in the decrease of the carbon footprint left by airplanes. this is not necessary, if you want, try to add these points before the end of your supporting paragraph

However, although the aforementioned solutions sound great, I just simply doubt that there will be enough people who are willing to live in an old fashion remove 'way'. I believe that the real solution lies in the advancement of new technologies. For example, the development of the electric car or hybrid car is an effective way to reduce car emissions. In recent years, the Chinese government has imposed new policies which encourage the use of “green” cars. These actions proved to be very successful in mitigating the environmental impact of private vehicles. Furthermore, we have enough reason to believe that in the future humans will finally find a new “green” energy that can entirely replace the fossil fuels. When that day comes, remove 'it will be the day that' people no longer have to worry about the environmental impact of cars and airplanes.

To conclude, from my personal perspective, the final solution to control the environmental problems lie in the technology rather than giving up modern lifestyle by going back to “stone age”.
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
allen_zhang

Post by allen_zhang »

Highly appreciate, Durai.

A few discussions:
#1 contribute to doing sth. I always forget this, Thanks a lot.

#2 modern technologies with the use of cars and airplanes.
I think maybe I should use "modern technologies such as cars and airplanes"

#3 are the solution of this issue
maybe I should use "are the solution to this issue"?

#4 I guess "driving less" is clear enough and no need to add "vehicle". what you think?

#5 I wanted to support "simpler life" by two arguments - "driving less" and "flying less". why do you prefer removing "flying less"?

#6 the "that" after "believe" can be omitted. remember that song? "I believe I can fly...".

#7 these actions have been proved. why you change it to "these actions proved"?

#8 "giving up modern lifestyle by going back to “stone age" is not what I mean. I guess "giving up technology and going back to stone age" is a proper expression.

Thanks again!
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
durai

Post by durai »

Allen,

Lets have a quick look,

Driving less-----cold be anything may not necessarily be cars, so I think it is better if you are very specific, just in case. Because if the examiner has to assume something with your wordings, then your task achievement cannot go beyond 7. My aim is to get band 8, at least in task achievement.

I wanted to support "simpler life" by two arguments - "driving less" and "flying less". why do you prefer removing "flying less"?---- well, you can give two points as long as you give examples for both and explain them both, failure in explaining both may come into the category that one side is developed more than the other. so, again TR would affect.

the "that" after "believe" can be omitted. remember that song? "I believe I can fly...".--- with this one, it is not necessary for spoken language, but for academic writing you cannot omit clauses.

click this weblink: http://www.ieltsbuddy.com/noun-clause.html

these actions have been proved. why you change it to "these actions proved"? --again its a grammatical error, because of your previous sentence. -- I think " present perfect tense" cannot follow "present perfect continuous " it should be past tense, otherwise the meaning may not be clear.

"giving up modern lifestyle by going back to “stone age" is not what I mean. I guess "giving up technology and going back to stone age" is a proper expression.----you have used the word ' technology' twice in the same sentence which is not a good structure.

Hope all these helps,

Durai
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7