Attention spans - My essay for this month. Thanks Ryan

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
IELTSfriend
Premium subscriber
Premium subscriber

Attention spans - My essay for this month. Thanks Ryan

Post by IELTSfriend »

Many today feel that attention spans are becoming shorter due to the prevalence of social media.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In recent years, there has been rising concern that social media is contributing to decreased attention spans. While this statement seems overrated, it is true o the whole. While this statement appears to be overstated, it is generally correct in the current context.
First and foremost, social media is developed to be addictive and to grab our attention. For instance, flatforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter use algorithms to curate content that keeps users engaged and scrolling. This instant gratification provided by social media can make it difficult for people to maintain attention for long periods of time.
Furthermore, TikTok, reels, or stories on social media lasting less than a minute are becoming increasingly versatile as a result of its commodity. The more people consume this brief information, the more difficult it is for them to concentrate on lengthier stuff such as books or research, which may disrupt their employment or study.
Last but not least, social addicts tend to navigate on the web and do other tasks at the same time. It is a common misconception that these "multi-taskers" are beneficial, but research has shown the opposite. When the brain is forced to work many chores at the same time, it loses the ability to concentrate as much as people who devote themselves to only one thing.
In conclusion, social media is responsible for a significant portion of people's declining attention spans. It is essential to understand the risks associated with their undeniable benefits and to spend their time online with caution.
Ryan

Re: Attention spans - My essay for this month. Thanks Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi IELTSfriend,

Attached are my thoughts.
Attachments
IELTSfriend May.pdf
(34.36 KiB) Downloaded 630 times