Please leave your opinion about my essay (task 2)

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
Piazzi

Please leave your opinion about my essay (task 2)

Post by Piazzi »

Please leave your opinion about my essay (task 2). Any corrections are welcome =)

It is notable how new technologies are developed in a short period of time. Despite, there are many fields where these technologies are not enough evolved to substitute humans, one of these fields is translation made by computers. There is no prediction that this kind of technology will advance to a point where it should replace the work of a human. A lack in development of A.I. (artificial intelligence) and the market for this kind of product will show it.
Firstly, is known that computers nowadays are quite dependent of humans to work. For an example, few technologies do not depends of a human command to start their operations. Most part of machines needs information to work, which can just be provided by a person. For this reason is not believed that, with this lack of development of the artificial intelligence, machines could replace humans in tasks like translation.
Secondly, new technologies demands a long time to be accessible to general public. The prices of computers, for an example, just turn low enough for people 30 years later of his invention. Get prices turn low requests a vast market of consumers, which allow industries to produce these new products in large scale. Thus, in a long term, there is no prediction that computers translators will be produced in such scale that, consequently, will be accessible to public replacing thus human translators.
To summarize, there is no sufficiently development in translation technologies for produce a machine that do not needs human operation and, for make these machines accessible for the public. In a short period, humans should continue being the current translators. Besides, will be hard for researchers project a machine that could interpret the cultural meaning of our words.
Piazzi

Re: Please leave your opinion about my essay (task 2)

Post by Piazzi »

I forgot the question!

Here it is:

Write about the following topic:
Machine translation (MT) is slower and less accurate than human translation and there is no immediate or predictable likelihood of machines taking over this role from humans.
Do you agree or disagree?
jaimbalaya

Re: Please leave your opinion about my essay (task 2)

Post by jaimbalaya »

Piazzi wrote:Please leave your opinion about my essay (task 2). Any corrections are welcome =)

New technologies are being developed in a short period of time. Despite this fact, there are many fields where these technologies are not evolved enough to act as a human substitute. One of these fields, in particular, is computer translation. There is no evidence that this kind of technology will advance to a point where it could successfully replace the work of a human. A lack in development of A.I. (artificial intelligence) and the market for this kind of product will verify this.
Firstly, is common knowledge that computers are dependent upon humans to function correctly. Few technologies are independent of a human command to begin their operation. Most parts of machines need information to work, which can just be provided by a person. For this reason is not believed that, with this lack of development of the artificial intelligence, machines could replace humans in tasks like translation.
Secondly, new technology will require a significant amount of time before it is accessible to the general public. Computers weren't affordable until almost 30 years after their invention. In order for prices to be lowered a considerable amount of consumers are required. This allows industries to produce these new products in large scale. In the long term, there is no prediction that computer translators will be produced in such scale that, consequently, they will be accessible to the public, thus, replacing human translators.
To summarize, there is no sufficient development in translation technology that could produce a machine that doesn't require human operation. For the time being, human translators should be utilized. Besides, it will be difficult for researchers to create a machine that could interpret the cultural meaning of our words.
This essay does not adequately answer the question. The examples given reiterate that "most" machines are required to have human instruction to function. At this point in time all machines require human commands, because true AI (artificial intelligence) does not yet exist. Try finding some stronger examples and a stronger thesis.