Topic of throw away society

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
yhjsaber

Topic of throw away society

Post by yhjsaber »

Many people say that we have developed into a “throw-away society”, because we are filling up our environment with so many plastic bags and rubbish that we cannot fully dispose of. To want degree do you agree with this opinion?

It is true that the ever increasing waste produced from human activities is taking a heavy toll on the environment. In my opinion, the increasingly high consumption of goods and the contaminative industrial productions are two main factors contributing to this trend.

Nowadays, the rate at which daily necessities such as food, clothes and papers are consumed is dramatically rising due to the population boom. With people eating and using more, the amount of rubbish coming from the packaging of various commodities is exceeding the degrading capacity of our environment. What makes the situation worse is our tendency to use something once and throw it away. A typical example would be the one-off plastic bags with which consumers convey groceries from market to their home. The unrestricted use of these has resulted in the prevalence of plastic rubbish that cannot be thoroughly degraded.

Moreover, the intense industrial activities around the world are introducing more refuse to the environment. For instance, the poisonous metals such as lead and rotted steels deriving from the mass production of electrical devices and automobiles contribute largely to this problem. Additionally, most manufacturing methods utilised in production lines are not economic and clean. The poor availability of advanced recycling technology in industries leads to that recyclable materials such as plastic, concrete and ceramic are being randomly dumped all over the world. As it takes considerable long time for these to be digested by bacteria, the trend that industrial wastes are accumulating at an accelerating rate is difficult to stop.

In conclusion, a throw-away society is the result of the soaring amount of goods we need every day and the insufficiently regulated industrial activities. If proper measures are not taken promptly, this trend is likely to cause more serious problems to the environment and people’s lives.
CindyBang

Re: Topic of throw away society

Post by CindyBang »

Hi yhjsaber,

This is an excellent essay. I really enjoyed reading it. It is well constructed and easy to understand with wide range of vocabulary.

I have learnt a lot from it. Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

Cindy.
allen_zhang

Post by allen_zhang »

Hi yhjsaber,
Some personal understanding.

I think you should focus on "throw-away culture", which I don't believe "industrial productions" should be included in.
Also, in the first paragraph, you talked a lot on the "rising consumption". I think it is not much relevant to "throw-away culture.".

My ideas would be:
1. agree that "throw-away society" creates more waste and pollutes our planet.
2. People nowadays are encouraged to throw things away and buy a new one rather than try to repair it. This is more convenient for them and it is even a cheaper option. For example, blablabla. However, the environmental cost is not counted and therefore causes this problem.
3. Anther reason is that many governments actually encourage this behavior in order to stimulate economy. Higher GDP creates more jobs. Again, environment is sacrificed for the sake of economy growth.

Anyway, just my personal view, I am not sure about which angle is the best one.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
yhjsaber

Post by yhjsaber »

Hi allen,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Again, I was trying to look at this question from two different angles.

Firstly, the increase in amount of rubbish is attributed to the growing population as well as people's tendency to use one-off products.

Secondly, the prevalent industrial activities also contribute to this problem as few manufactures employ advanced technologies for recycling, which is another improtant factor contributing to throw away society.

Generally, booming population, tendency of individual to use something once and throw it away and the insufficiently regulated industries are responsible for the development of a throw away society.

Also, I think writing an essay from your point of you is excellent and easier to logically present the ideas.

Cheers

Carlen