pls give me a band score for Task 1 -voluntary work

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
rairaichan0323

pls give me a band score for Task 1 -voluntary work

Post by rairaichan0323 »

You live in an English speaking country and you want to do some voluntary, unpaid work in a developing country. Write a letter to a company called Cultural Expeditions, which organizes such trips. In your letter:
• Explain why you want to do the voluntary work.
• State what your skills and experience are.
• Indicate where you would like to volunteer and for how long

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to seek for a voluntary work at your company.

I am a university student at Edith Crown University. I would like to assist some children who are in a less affluent country and also are in needs of someone helping. I hope that my helping can comfort their feeling and let them know that they are not outcast.

I am currently studying child educational programme. Last year summer, I had been China for teaching local children in English. I gained a great deal of experience in it. Therefore, I firmly believe that I have enough skills for teaching children.

I would be available to commence this work from 1st of July until 31st of August. I would be grateful if it is possible for you to arrange me to work in South Africa. It is because I saw some news that they are requiring some volunteer to educate their kids. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Janis Lam
allen_zhang

Re: pls give me a band score for Task 1 -voluntary work

Post by allen_zhang »

Hi Rairaichan,
I will try to help. Since I am also an Ielts student, I cannot guarantee that all my comments and advice are correct.
I am writing to seek for a voluntary work at your company.
Seems grammatically correct to me. However, I would try it as below:
I am writing with regard to a voluntary work program that your company is organizing.

I am a university student at Edith Crown University.
I am not sure about "at". Maybe "of"?
I am a university student of Edith Crown University.
I would like to assist some children who are in a less affluent country and also are in needs of someone helping.
a. From my point of view, you tried too much on replacing words. like help-> assist. developing country --> a less affluent country.
b. there are grammatical errors like: "in needs of someone helping."
I would try below:
I am always keen on helping those kids in developing countries. Because I believe every child in this world deserves the same access to food, education, care and love.

I hope that my helping can comfort their feeling and let them know that they are not outcast.
a Sounds not natural.
b. helping ->help, feeling ->feelings.
I am currently studying child educational programme.
a. child educational programme --> child education programme.
Last year summer, I had been China for teaching local children in English.
Last year summer --> last summer.
I had been China --> I had been to China.
I would try:
Last summer, I had been to China for 2 months, teaching English for local children
I gained a great deal of experience in it.
a. "in it" --> "from it".
b. "a great deal of" --> "valuable"

Therefore, I firmly believe that I have enough skills for teaching children.
I would be available to commence this work from 1st of July until 31st of August.
a. 1st of July --> "the 1st of July" or "July 1st".
I would be grateful if it is possible for you to arrange me to work in South Africa.
It is because I saw some news that they are requiring some volunteer to educate their kids.
Try below:
As I learned from your advertisement, you are running some volunteer program in South Africa. I am wondering if it would be possible for me join this program as an English teacher.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.
I look forward to hearing from you.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
rairaichan0323

Re: pls give me a band score for Task 1 -voluntary work

Post by rairaichan0323 »

thank you allen :)

if i write down like this, is it better?

also are in needs of support from someone.