speaking part 3

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
renator

speaking part 3

Post by renator »

Hi guys,

Advices and corrections about my mistakes are welcome :)

http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/fi ... a6025acc60
Attachments
speaking_part3.mp3
(6.49 MiB) Downloaded 481 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: speaking part 3

Post by lmoore »

Hi, Renator,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about public transportation. It’s an important topic and unique to each country, and I learned some things about public transport in Brazil that I didn’t know!

Here are some thoughts:

Overall, your fluency was good. Your speed was okay most of the time, although you were slowed down by “uh” a few times. Your pronunciation also made it difficult to understand you occasionaly. Be careful with the word “country,” for example. This word is not pronounced “CONtry,” but “CUNtry.” Also, I could not hear the “-ed” on the end of “crowded” when you said it. In addition, you said “their own lane to drive to,” but I heard, “their own LINE to drive to” (and we us drive IN when we talk about lanes).

You had some higher-level vocabulary that I heard like, “I reckon” and “ferries.” However, I did not hear as much as I would expect from a more fluent speaker like you. You repeated many words like “crowded.” Learning synonyms for words will help you increase your vocabulary. For example, you could have said “full” for “crowded” a time or two.

Another area for improvement is using singular and plural nouns and verbs correctly. For instance, you said, “I reckon they can be cheaper and faster” when you were referring to public transportation. Public transportation is singular/non-count, so the pronoun you needed here is “it.” Several times you use the singular form of “bus” when you should have used the plural form, such as when you said, “People use bus, trains.” You should have said “places” when you said, “They have more place to where you can catch a ferry.” Finally, you said, “I think the government here don’t invest money in public transport” when the correct verb is “doesn’t.”

Focus on these areas as you practice, and I think you will likely see some rapid improvement. Best wishes as you practice!
renator

Re: speaking part 3

Post by renator »

Thanks for your comments lmoore, it was amazing as usually :-). Yes, I agree with you about I need be careful whith "ed" and singular/plural. I need to fix it, because it is a silly mistake than might cost me precious points... About vocabulary and pronunciation, I also need to improve it...

Thank you for your time correcting me and your advices!

All the best,
Renato