Ielts Academic Vietnam April 24th 2014

Have you taken the IELTS recently? Share your questions with other students here.
aries91

Ielts Academic Vietnam April 24th 2014

Post by aries91 »

IELTS Academic in Vietnam 24/04/2014:

Task 1: Bar chart of comparing the number of males aged 16 to 26 watch different sports with the percentage of those participating in them.

Task 2: An increasing number of advertisements on TV aim at children. What are the effects of television advertising? Should television advertising be controlled?

How to apply your Ielts structure on this essay, Ryan ? Thanks
Ryan

Re: Ielts Academic Vietnam April 24th 2014

Post by Ryan »

Thanks for sharing the experience, aries91.

Regarding that Task 2, I would respond with a straightforward argument essay. You could address both questions in a statement of position in the introduction paragraph (a thesis) and then elaborate in separate supporting paragraphs. This statement in your introduction could look something like this:

"It is argued that television advertisements instill consumerism in children at an early age, and this is a phenomenon that should be controlled. Evidence to illustrate the negative ramifications of child-targeted advertising and the benefits that result from the curbing of this practice will be shown in this essay."

How did you go about responding to this question?
aries91

Post by aries91 »

Thanks Ryan,

I didn't take the Ielts exam yesterday. I just shared it from my friends. I'm going to take an exam next month and i think i will follow to your structure. However, I'm kind of confused about some questions like this question above. As what i have seen, some teachers in my hometown tend to separate this kind of question ( cause and effect or effect and solution ) to each paragraph. Each one refers 1 part of question ( P1-cause ; p2-souluion). This is different from what i have seen from your structure. is this going to lose my mark?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi Aries,

I guess the first thing to remember is that the examiner expects to see structure, but they are not expecting a certain structure. If your response is logical and fulfills the essay question, you will be fine. The approach you've learned from instructors in your community (committing supporting paragraph 1 to cause and 2 to solution) is healthy, so I'd go with that if you feel confident when using it.