Please evaluate my General Training Type 2 Essay

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
Mccarurday

Please evaluate my General Training Type 2 Essay

Post by Mccarurday »

Question: Some people say that not all criminals should be sent to prison. Instead they should do unpaid work to help people in the community. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give your opinion and relevant examples.

The debate over the appropriateness of punishment meted out to criminals has been raging for years. Some advocate for unpaid community service while others are in support of prison time. Ultimately I think criminals should be sent to prison.
Firstly, if criminals only do unpaid community service it will amount to them getting off lightly for their criminals. It won't serve as deterrent to other and even the criminals are likely to go back to their crimes knowing only unpaid community service would be the punishment. This would lead to an increase crime rates in the society.
Also if criminals are sent to prison, they can undergo correctional training while in incarceration. They are engaged in vocational training, sporting activities. They also have time to reflect on their crimes with the help of psychologists and when they finish their terms, they return to the community as reformed individuals.
I believe criminals should be sent to prison for reforms and behavioral correction rather than sending them straight back into the community after their crimes. This will also serve as deterrent to other would be criminals