Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
renator

IELTS Speaking - Cue Card

Post by renator »

Describe a trip that you took by public transportation. Please say

- When and where did you go?
- What kind of transport did you use?
- How was your trip?
- Why did you choose to use public transport?

http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=157
Attachments
Untitled (online-audio-converter.com).mp3
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 320 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: IELTS Speaking - Cue Card

Post by lmoore »

Hi, Renator,
Okay, now I want to go to Australia since I have listened to your speech about it. That must have been amazing! Thank you for sharing information about your trip with us.
Here are some thoughts:
1.) Pronunciation and fluency – Overall, your fluency was rather good. You spoke a bit too slowly at first, but you sped up as you moved through the speech. The lengths of silence and “uhs” slowed you down some. Your pronunciation was easy to understand, for the most part, but be careful with the word “kangaroo.” Two times, I thought you said, “canoe.” Enunciate each syllable of the word carefully. Also, be sure to say “th” with your tongue between your teeth instead of as a “d.” The word is “this,” not “dis,” or “that,” not “dat.”
2.) Vocabulary – Your vocabulary was general for the most part. I heard you use “reckon,” which is not a word used very often, and you used it correctly. You used the word “relaxing” a few times. One way to increase your vocabulary is to learn synonyms, or words that have similar meaning. So, you could have said, “calming” for one of the times you said “relaxing,” for example.
3.) Grammar – You did a nice job overall of using the correct verb tenses. At one point, though, you said, “I never saw kangaroos before.” This would have sounded a bit better if you had added, “before then,” or just used the past perfect tense, “I had never seen kangaroos (before then).”
4.) Individual sentence structure problems –
- You don’t need to concern a lot pay attention on the road. – This should be, “You don’t need to concern yourself too much with what is going on on the road,” You don’t need to concern yourself with paying attention to the road,” or “You don’t need to pay much attention to the road.”
-I really like this trip on a train. – I really like this trip ON a train. You could also have put like in the past tense, liked, to keep it in line with the other past tense verbs you used.
-The kangaroos are nice in my opinion because it was a very nice day. – I think you meant, “The kangaroos were nice, in my opinion. It was a very nice day.” When you added “because,” it changed the entire meaning of the sentence.
Although this is a minor point, you addressed the last question of why you chose public transportation on this trip near the beginning of the speech instead of at the end, as it is on the cue card. It would be easier for the listener if you moved through the questions as they are on the cue card. In saying that, you might consider using some transition words to make it clearer when you are moving on, such as, “first,” “next,” “I will discuss the next question,” etc.

Best wishes as you continue to practice!
mhingz

Post by mhingz »

wow!
amazing comments Imoore
04/10/2010 - Listening 7.0, Reading 5.5, Writing 6.5, Speaking 7.0
10/26/2013 - Listening 6.0, Reading 5.0, Writing 6.5, Speaking 7.5
10/05/2014 - Listening 7.5, Reading 7.0, Writing 7.0, Speaking 7.5
renator

Post by renator »

lmoore, Yes, your comments were amazing, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much and I will keep practicing :)

All the best,
Renat