occasion you met your friend part 2

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
durai

occasion you met your friend part 2

Post by durai »

Describe an occasion when you met a friend who you hadn't seen for a long time.
You should say:
who this friend was
when and where you met him/her
why you hadn't seen him/ her for a long time *
and explain how you felt when you met him/her. *

http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=145
Attachments
rec0420-194524.mp3
(2.15 MiB) Downloaded 479 times
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: occasion you met your friend part 2

Post by lmoore »

Hello, Durai,

First, let me say that your “I was over the moon” made me smile when you introduced your topic. This is not an often-used phrase, but it was very appropriate for this speech. It also shows that you are aware of idiomatic speech and know how to use it well.

Next, I noticed that your pronunciation of the word “person” is off. It sounds to me like you’re saying, “puhsuhn” instead of “PURsuhn.” Make sure you say that “r” sound in the first syllable.

Grammar continues to be a difficult area. Your mistakes are minor, but they add up. I would suggest that as you pick one grammar point to work on, that you focus on verb tenses first.
I heard you say, “get along well with the people” in reference to your friend. This should be “gets along well with people” (without the “the”). You also said, “We haven’t seen for more than two years.” Since you saw your friend in January of this year, this is no longer true. If you use the present perfect, it indicates that the situation is still true. Here, you want to use the past perfect to indicate that this event concluded in the past. So, it would be, “We hadn’t seen each other for more than two years.” The original sentence also did not have an object for the verbs “hadn’t seen,” so I added “each other.” You also said “forget” when you meant “forgot” when you talked about the fact that you forgot your friend had married. You said, “that he has been married,” but, again, this event is finished, so you could have said, “that he had been married.” The other error I heard was when you used “see” in “when I see him” instead of “saw.”

While there were a couple of other small errors, I believe that focusing on verb tenses may be the best way to improve your speaking in the most dramatic way in a short period of time.

Keep up the hard work! It will pay off in the end.