part 1 news

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
durai

part 1 news

Post by durai »

Are you very interested in the news?

Do you think it's important to keep up-to-date with the news?

How do you keep up-to-date with the news?

Do you read newspapers?

How do you often (or, usually) read a newspaper?

http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=143
Attachments
rec0420-133029.mp3
(3.11 MiB) Downloaded 179 times
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: part 1 news

Post by lmoore »

Hi, Durai,

Your vocabulary in this speech was highest in your expressions, I noticed. For example, you said,
I am always very keen to hear news from different channels,” and “In fact,” “I strongly believe,” etc. I also heard words like “implement.” Keep up using higher-level vocabulary as you practice.

Your pronunciation is easy to understand, for the most part. There were a couple of points that I was not sure what you said, exactly, so watch your speed so that you don’t speak so quickly that the listener cannot understand you. For instance, I could not understand whether you said that you go to work or for a walk in the day time, although I listened twice to your recording.

Your organization was good overall. It was particularly helpful when you gave an example of what you were talking about when you said, “For example, if the government implements any new laws. . .” Think about using more transitions between points. Although in part one the instructor will ask you the questions as you laid them out here, remember that in part two, you will have to organize your speech using the bullet points, and transitions will be necessary.

Here are a few grammar corrections to keep in mind:

1.) On occasions – This expression should be singular, on occasion.
2.) For example, if the government implement any new laws. – Subject / verb agreement. This should be, “For example, if the government implementS any new laws. . .”
3.) Whenever I drive car – Whenever I drive my car or a car.
4.) Even I can search about various news on the internet. – I can even search FOR different news stories on the internet. Note the placement of even here.
5.) Quite cheaper – You could try, “This newspaper is quite a bit less expensive than other newspapers,” or “This newspaper is quite a bit cheaper than other newspapers.”
6.) That is my days off – Subject / verb agreement. Those are my days off.

Best wishes as you continue to practice!
durai

Post by durai »

Thanks Imoore,

What I assume is I need to improve my grammar while speaking.
actually, I have fair control of grammar while writing essays because I have time to check.
But at the time of speaking , certainly no time to think, so losing my control.

to be honest, I sat for a few times, i scored 6.5 in speaking. i guess if I improve my grammar then I must be 7+.

do you have any specific way to control grammar while speaking?
I am expecting answer other than "practice"

Anyway, thanks for your comments , those are very helpful.
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Post by lmoore »

One idea is to consciously think about what you are going to say before you speak. Ask yourself whether you are about to tell a story, or talk about something hypothetical, perhaps. Then decide which verb tense you need to use. If you are going to speak about multiple nouns, consciously decide that you are going to use the correct verb. Although your speaking speed may slow down, you will have fewer errors. Your speed will pick back up later.

Focus on just one error you make on a regular basis. For example, if you regularly have problems with subject/verb agreement, focus on consciously correcting that one error until you notice a significant drop in the number of errors you make. Then move on to another recurring error.