Topic about how to deal with criminals

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
yhjsaber

Topic about how to deal with criminals

Post by yhjsaber »

Sending criminals to the prison is not the best method of dealing with them. Education and job training are better ways to help them. Do you agree or disagree?

People hold different views as to whether or not criminals should be sent to serve a prison sentence. Although there are some advantages of imprisoning offenders, I would argue that it is better to equip them with occupational skills that allow them to lead an improved life through education.

Admittedly, punishing law breakers by incarceration can produce a deterring effect which forces people to give a second thought to committing a crime. This in turn could restrict the urge of anyone to offend and hence lower the crime rates. In addition, by confining those who are serial killers or frequent offenders in a cage, they could be prevented from harming other individuals and causing more problems to the society. Therefore, it is reasonable for us to claim that imprisonment is an effective way to deal with criminals.

On the other hand, educating criminals to be capable of securing a job and living a satisfactory life may be a better method to help them. For example, a burglar who is forced to rob a residence because he has a daughter waiting for an urgent surgery, which demands considerable amount of money, could be offered financial supports and opportunities to acquire advanced job skills allowing him to compensate for the loss of the victims. This could also be done for those who are already in prison. By equipping them with the ability to earn a living and blend in the society as competent social members, not only would they be thankful, but also they can bring a positive impact, benefiting both their families and the society.

In conclusion, penalizing criminals with long time confinement may have limited capacity in terms of preparing them for their after jail life. Educating them to be able to sustain their lives and make contributions to the society, on the other hand, is a more effective means to help them.
allen_zhang

Re: Topic about how to deal with criminals

Post by allen_zhang »

It seems that you have a pattern in your writing and I like it. However, dispite the good language skills you have, this essay is not convencing enough to me. What about habitual offenders and serial killers? I believe that they deserve rotting in jail.:-)
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
allen_zhang

Post by allen_zhang »

I believe that imprisonment and rehablitation program are not mutually exclusive and both can serve the ultimate goal of our law enforcement systems - crime prevention and justice.

#1 what can imprisonment do.
a, deterring effects.

b,brings justice.

c, protect people from offence.

#2 what can rehabilitation do.
a, crime prevention

b, justice.

conclusion: they are both effective methods to reduce crime and contribute to the wellbeing of the society. A reasonable combination of them could be the best practice.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
yhjsaber

Post by yhjsaber »

Thanks allen, I am struggling with coming up with convincing examples to support my view. I am trying to read more articles and novels to enrich my ideas.
yhjsaber

Post by yhjsaber »

Yeah, good idea. It is better to say that punishing criminals and educating them are not contradictory to each other.