essay - reoffend

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
allen_zhang

essay - reoffend

Post by allen_zhang »

Below is an essay about crime.

To be honest, I didn't actually write it, I just copied some thing I got from Internet. It is kind of weird, just focus on psychological perspective.

Many offenders commit more crimes after serving the first punishment. Why is this happening, and what measures can be taken to tackle this problem?

It is true that there is a very high chance for offenders to re-offend after serving their first jail time. There are certain psychological reasons behind this problem.

From the perspective of psychology, any behavior is actually done by the person to achieve an important psychological goal and the act of committing a crime follows the same exact rule. If the criminal was caught he will still do his best to achieve his goal and so he will re-offend in the next possible opportunity. For example, some criminals commit crimes because of wanting to feel superior to others. Now if they got caught the psychological goal of becoming superior is never achieved and so they re-offend after their release in order to achieve their goal.

To prevent criminals from committing crimes again, their psychological goals must be properly understood then the penal systems should help them reach these goals in other ways. As soon as an alternative is presented the criminal will adhere to it and lose his urge to commit crimes. So prison system can introduce more rehabilitation programs to provide inmates with opportunities to form new hobbies or to learn some transferable skills, which can help criminals to alter their psychological goals. In this way, we can help them break their pattern of ¬behavior during or after their time in jail.

To conclude, the psychological reason plays an important role in recidivism. To address this problem, prison systems can introduce more rehabilitation programs to help prisoners to break their behavior pattern, thereby reducing re-offending rate.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5