Can I write in ALL CAPS on the IELTS Reading and Listening?

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Ryan

Can I write in ALL CAPS on the IELTS Reading and Listening?

Post by Ryan »

Someone asked me this today on Facebook. The answer is yes to both (keeping in mind a few details, which I'll outline below). Candidates have reported to me that they had no problem using all caps (otherwise known as block letters) on their IELTS Reading and Listening exams.

Here are a few quotations from published articles at BritishCouncil.org and IELTS.org for reference:

Listening
“You may write your answers in lower case or capital letters.”
Source: http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/pre ... est-advice
"Completion question types (e.g. note completion):

- You may write your answers in lower case or in capitals.”
Source: https://www.ielts.org/~/media/publicati ... sh-uk.ashx
Please note that the above refers to completion type questions only (i.e. plan/map/diagram labelling, form/note/table/flow-chart/summary completion, sentence completion). For multiple choice or matching, use whatever letter format is present in the question to preserve answer clarity.

Reading
"Completion question types (e.g. note completion):

-The same rules apply to ‘completion’ question types as in Listening (see above).”
Source: https://www.ielts.org/~/media/publicati ... sh-uk.ashx
Charmy

Re: Can I write in ALL CAPS on the IELTS Reading and Listeni

Post by Charmy »

Does It Mean That I Can Use A Mixture Of Both Capitals And Lower Cases Like This?
oR EvEn lIKe tHiS? I rEAlly dOUbT tHaT i cAN wRIte LikE thIS wIThoUt gETtiNg pEnaLiZed.
Pkhatawa

Post by Pkhatawa »

I appeared twice, and in both instances, I was recommended to write answers in CAPS. Caution - it is not easy though, when we are not used to write often. We tend to make spelling mistakes while transferring the answer. A spelling mistake is marked negatively. Also, in the end, we shall need extra 1 or 2 minutes in order to check spellings made in CAPS. I therefore think, one needs to write what is more comfortable.
Charmy

Post by Charmy »

Just tried "ALL CAPS" method. Didn't feel used to doing this though.
Attachments
IMG_20140628_1043032.jpg
IMG_20140628_1043032.jpg (348.55 KiB) Viewed 4609 times
manojwilson

Post by manojwilson »

Actually if you write in CAPS it is better because the people who check your IELTS R/L answer sheet are not aware about the context of Reading/Listening Questions and are just made the keys for the same available to them. So if your handwriting is pretty bad or you attempt on writing in cursive and miss out on some letter like an 'i' which looks like an 'l' then or 'r' which looks like 's', the checker can make your answer incorrect as there are special instructions for him/her to do so. So, it's not about the comfort, you always have to think about the checker/examiner in your mind when attempting an exam. Make his life easy and you'll get bands you need. :D
Charmy

Post by Charmy »

May I ask a few questions regarding to the ALL CAPS solution?
Should I absolutely write everything in ALL CAPS? Take 2 a.m. for example, can I keep the lower case or do I need to write 2 A.M.? What about 30th June, Can I write 30TH JUNE?
Attachments
IMG_20140630_1222352.jpg
IMG_20140630_1222352.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 4591 times
manojwilson

Post by manojwilson »

It is correct either way.
Mdirfan_siddiqui

Post by Mdirfan_siddiqui »

Actually I am not quite sure about it, if I write my answers in all caps and
Another person write in small letters though he uses punctuations whenever is
Required n both got all the answers correct, so both gets the perfect band 9 score,
If so, it is not unjust to the person who shows the ability of his punctuations. Where
As I escape of it. Please if anyone can clarify me this. Thanks.