Am I going to fail?

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
lilycup

Am I going to fail?

Post by lilycup »

I took my speaking test yesterday and I missed a question. The examiner suddenly said that it was the end of the speaking test. Am I going to fail? Please reply ASAP
Chi

Re: Am I going to fail?

Post by Chi »

Hi Lilycup,

First of all, there's no pass mark in Ielts. Second, it is not the end of the world, if you don't get the score you targeted for, you can always resit the exam. Of course you will lose a bit of money, and time. I know it can be frustrated too.

But, always look on the bright side of life ;) I don't think you are marked on that particular question. Logically, examiners would look at your language ability based on the whole conversation. Misunderstanding of a question can occur even in your mother tongue. Maybe your examiner was running out of time and that's why he/she stopped you there.

In any case, there's nothing you can do about the speaking test now. All you can do now is to focus on other sections and nail it :)

Make sure you have a lot of rest before the test, and good luck.

Chi
lilycup

Post by lilycup »

Chi wrote:Hi Lilycup,

First of all, there's no pass mark in Ielts. Second, it is not the end of the world, if you don't get the score you targeted for, you can always resit the exam. Of course you will lose a bit of money, and time. I know it can be frustrated too.

But, always look on the bright side of life ;) I don't think you are marked on that particular question. Logically, examiners would look at your language ability based on the whole conversation. Misunderstanding of a question can occur even in your mother tongue. Maybe your examiner was running out of time and that's why he/she stopped you there.

In any case, there's nothing you can do about the speaking test now. All you can do now is to focus on other sections and nail it :)

Chi

Thanks Chi! I really hope I'll get the grades I need :( I took both the speaking and written yesterday! Let's just hope for the best :(
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Chi wrote:Hi Lilycup,

Chi
Yep. Chi is right on the mark here.

Lilycup, what is your goal? What constitutes a "fail" to you? I wouldn't read too much into the examiner stopping you. As Chi mentions, it could be any number of things. How do you feel you performed in the other areas of the speaking?

Stay positive. ;)