Speaking part

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
VoidGuard

Speaking part

Post by VoidGuard »

Hello guys,
this is my the first attempt. I feel that I have problems with fluency and grammar, but I'd like to hear your comments.

I had the following task:
Describe something you did that was new or exciting.
You should say:
what you did;
where and when you did this;
who you shared the activity with and explain why this activity was new or exciting for you.
record20140917100957.mp3
(982.73 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=339
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: Speaking part

Post by lmoore »

Hello, VoidGuard,
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing your practice with us. We are here to help each other out and to support you as you practice for the IELTS.
Overall, I would say that your answer was fluent, as far as speaking speed goes. You do have some difficulty speaking continuously, however. It sounds like you stop every two to three words to gather your thoughts for a brief second and then proceed. This makes your speech sound somewhat halting.
Regarding coherency, you answered all of the questions directly, which is good, but I did not notice many details. Your recording was rather short. Remember that you want to try to speak for two minutes. Answer the questions directly first, and then provide a few details to round out your answers. Also, your introduction was good, and it helped me get an idea of what your speech would be about. In addition, I am not sure if you answered the question of when this event occurred. I heard you say that you got your license five years ago, but I wasn’t sure if this was when your driving happened or not.
Let’s move on to vocabulary. I would suggest that you find some higher-level synonyms for words like scared because 1.) you often use basic vocabulary and 2.) you repeat yourself sometimes, like when you said, “really scared about it,” and “no experience driving car.”
As far as pronunciation goes, I didn’t really have too many problems understanding you. I would suggest you focus on vocabulary, fluency, and grammar first.
Grammar – There were a few grammar problems, and here are a couple of them with corrections to help you focus on the areas to improve:
-I have no any experience driving a car – I don’t/didn’t (in the past) have any experience driving a car.
- I completely forgot how to drive car – I completely forgot how to drive A car.
Best wishes as you continue to practice!
VoidGuard

Re: Speaking part

Post by VoidGuard »

Hello, Imoore,
thanks a lot for your detailed feedback about my attempt. You right that I need to add some details during my answer, but I'm afraid to do it because I don't want to make more mistakes than I do :) Of course, I need more practice in order to solve this problem.