A very strange task2 question in recent IELTS

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
mcgyver

A very strange task2 question in recent IELTS

Post by mcgyver »

Hello Ryan,

I sat for the IELTS General exam on Oct 26, 2013. The IELTS task2 I had felt strange. Here it is:

Some people say that people should spend more time on planning for the career. Others say that people should spend more time with their friends and family.

Discuss both views and then give your opinion. Use examples from your own life.

I know it is not an argument essay but rather a discussion essay. So, I cannot say what I think in either of the paragraphs that I write for the views. I should say someting like "On the one hand....." in the first supporting paragraph and then "On the flip-side of the coin....." in the second supporting paragraph. Then, how am I supposed to use examples from my own life if I cannot express my opinions in those 2 paragraphs?

Please help me out.

Regards,
mcgyver
bunni015

Re: A very strange task2 question in recent IELTS

Post by bunni015 »

Some people say that people should spend more time on planning for the career. Others say that people should spend more time with their friends and family.

Discuss both views and then give your opinion. Use examples from your own life.
My ideas after interpreting the above task 2 would be

Main Idea:
1. spending time wisely
2. Career v/s social life
3. Work-life balance.

Introduction:
1. Considering time as vital factor to shape your life.
2. Planning your work-life balance
3. Summary.

Body 1:
1. Spending time for planning your career.

Body 2:
2. Giving extra time for your social life

Summary:
1. Accepting the fact both are important for well-being human

Regards,
Bunni
mcgyver

Post by mcgyver »

thanks bunni for the solution outline, but i didn't actually ask for it. basically, i would have liked to know how to incorporate personal examples into a discussion essay. Ryan showed us how to do so for argument essays.
bunni015

Post by bunni015 »

Hi,

I am not sure how much do you agree with the examples, but if I have to write a task two essay for the same; then I would answer it in this way.

It is irrefutable that spending time wisely can help people to plan their career, building and maintaining either personal or social relationships. In this process, the option between designing future or being sociable person depends on the age and time. However, the variations of mindset during the course of life changes and people might revert back to latter option or viceversa.

Every age has its own significant importance in every humans life. For toddlers, playing with other toddlers amuses them. In late 19th century every father advised their adolescents about society, people and its importance. Adversely, in early 2000 every teenager was ambitious about learning arts for example: music, painting, dance etc. It was the same period, where I never had a clue about what does a ‘career’ mean. So, at young age, it is the time to bag as many skills as one can and have fun with kith and kin.

Now that after a bundle of skills are bagged, the next is adulthood. The most important and crucial stage for almost everyone for planning, thinking about their career. This is the time to showcase various skills and grow step-by-step with achievements and accomplishments. Hence, it is apparent that at adulthood most of them would spend time in planning and building their future.

Baby-boomers, the oldest and most honorable human beings in the society. These elderly like to talk and recollect their memories and spend almost the whole time either with family or their childhood friends. Thus, at this time people have ample time to be a sociable person.

After examining different behaviors at each stage of life it can be understood that people might have different opinions about deciding between career or personal life. However, I believe that every period of life gives an opportunity to choose between family or career. All is that, one has to take a right step to stay ahead in the life.

Total 327 Words

Regards
Bunni