Please check my essay - increase tax on petrol

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
npr.ielts7

Please check my essay - increase tax on petrol

Post by npr.ielts7 »

Some people think that the government should increase tax on petrol in order to reduce traffic and pollution. What are the advantages or disadvantages of such a solution?

Today, pollution levels are ever increasing. One of the many reasons is burning of fossil fuel such as petrol. It is argued by many that increasing tax on petrol and petroleum products can reduce the consumption of petrol and thereby reduce the traffic and pollution problems. However, such measure has both advantages and disadvantages. In this essay, I will examine both sides of the argument before a reasoned conclusion is reached.

For one, globalisation has brought many lifestyle changes. This can be seen with the increased use of automobiles, either for work or for pleasure. For example, people now are using cars even for short distance travels, thereby contributing to the increased pollution levels and traffic jams. Thus, it is clear that by increasing tax on the petrol people will refrain from using their personal vehicles for such travels. This makes it clear why it is beneficial for government to tax more on petrol.

On the other hand, prices of many essential commodities depend on the transportation cost, and fuel price directly influences this. For instance, rice is majorly cultivated in South India and is transported to different parts of the country. Because of this, the price of rice will be hiked across the country. Therefore, when a tax is increased it will have spiralling effect on the commodities and common man will have to bear the increased cost.

To sum up, by increasing the tax on petrol, pleasure and short distance travel can be minimised and thereby traffic and pollution problems can be reduced. However, this solution will create dent in the budget of a common man. After analysing both sides of this solution, it is recommended that government should consider the effects on a common man when taking such decisions.
IELTS Scores:- BC: (06/07/2013): R-8;L-9;W-6.5;S-6| IDP: (21/09/2013) R-9;L-8.5;W-6.5;S-6.5 | (09/11/2013) ????