GT Task 1 letter

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
johnsky

GT Task 1 letter

Post by johnsky »

You are due to move into a rented apartment next month but you will not be able to because you have some problems.

Write a letter to the landlord. In your letter:

- explain your situation
- describe your problems
- tell him/her when you think you can move in

Dear Mr. John,

I am glad to have found such a nice apartment, which is really close to all amenities. However I will not be able to move in next month due to personal matter.

A few days after we signed the tenant agreement, I got news from my family that my aunt is in the hospital. My aunt was a big part of my life since childhood, and it is extremely important for me to be there. So, next month I will need to travel to my home country, and I will be staying there for about a month.

Since I will not be moving in next month, I request that you don't take rent for the month. As you know my country is very far, the travel cost is really high and it would save me a lot if I don't have to pay the rent. I really do not want to loose the apartment, as it is difficult to find such a nice place.

Please do consider my situation. I hope to return back from my country and discuss this matter with you.

Yours Sincerely,
Damien P.

Re: GT Task 1 letter

Post by Damien P. »

Very nice letter! :) Excellent grammar and appropriate vocabulary I believe.

The only modifications I would apply would be:
- Try to explain a bit more about your current situation at the beginning of the letter: "I am one of your tenants and was supposed to take the appartment next month..."
- Since the letter is not extremely long, try to find a synonym or to replace "month", which is used three times in two sentences
- I am not sure about that, but I think it would be better to replace "I request that you don't take rent for the month" by "I would appreciate you not to take the rent for the upcoming month", for example. "I require" might be a bit too direct when addressing a British landlord, for instance.
johnsky

Re: GT Task 1 letter

Post by johnsky »

Thanks for your feedback, I keep making the same mistakes using one word many times ! Wish we could use editors in exams.