Does lower and upper case matters in IELTS answers sheets

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
blackwater

Does lower and upper case matters in IELTS answers sheets

Post by blackwater »

Dear all,
I am solving IELTS books test from last two days and i feel that i am making this mistake again and again. Sometimes if i write some of my answers in Upper case and when i checked it from the key book it is in lower case. Now i am very much disparate to know that either this upper case and lower case can create a problem and does my answer consider like wrong in that case.

The example of my situation is that..

Question: Course enrolled in: .................................... ( advance english studies)

In Key book the answer is: (Advance English Studies)

I hope you understand what i want to ask.

Please let me know about this issue ..

Regards
Blackwater
JessicaW.

Re: Does lower and upper case matters in IELTS answers sheet

Post by JessicaW. »

To ensure the answer to be correct, you may want to write all the letters in capital form. For example, if the key is "advanced english studies", then you will still be correct if you write "Advanced English Studies" on the answer sheet. But, if the key is "Advanced English Studies", then it will be incorrect to write "advanced English studies". Hope this will help you :-)
Pkhatawa

Post by Pkhatawa »

I too am for all Upper Case. I appeared twice, and in both instances, I was recommended to write answers in CAPS. Caution - it is not easy though, when we are not used to write often. We tend to make spelling mistakes while transferring the answer. A spelling mistake is marked negatively. Also, in the end, we shall need extra 1 or 2 minutes in order to check spellings made in CAPS. I therefore think, one needs to write what is more comfortable or as per the key in question paper.
blackwater

Post by blackwater »

Thanks for the feedback but i am still not fully clear about this problem.
For example if the answer is "advanced english studies" in key book and i write my answer like "ADVANCE ENGLISH STUDIES" or "Advance English Studies" on answer sheet than in both cases it is correct? and in other case if the answer is "Advanced English Studies" in key book and i write my answer like " ADVANCED ENGLISH STUDIES" than it is still correct but if i write "advanced english studies" than this time it is wrong?

Is it true the way i explain above or there is something missing?

and can you please share some officials link regarding this issue?
JessicaW.

Post by JessicaW. »

blackwater wrote:Thanks for the feedback but i am still not fully clear about this problem.
For example if the answer is "advanced english studies" in key book and i write my answer like "ADVANCE ENGLISH STUDIES" or "Advance English Studies" on answer sheet than in both cases it is correct? and in other case if the answer is "Advanced English Studies" in key book and i write my answer like " ADVANCED ENGLISH STUDIES" than it is still correct but if i write "advanced english studies" than this time it is wrong?

Is it true the way i explain above or there is something missing?

and can you please share some officials link regarding this issue?
Yes, you can explain it like that. Sorry I don't have any official links to this problem, I got this information from a teacher who wrote a book, and in the book it clearly stated this issue. And because IELTS is the same all around the world, so I think it is applicable in your country as well. For your reference.
Cherilab

Post by Cherilab »

It is advisable to write all answers
in UPPERCASE, except for
Email address.
Ravian

Post by Ravian »

This point seems having no importance but actually it is the most important tip to be considered.

Rgds