I quit repeating myself! Please rate my speaking.

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
Charmy

I quit repeating myself! Please rate my speaking.

Post by Charmy »

http://www.ieltsnetwork.com/download/file.php?id=249
-----------------
Describe a situation that made you a little angry.
You should say:
what it was that made you angry
where you were when this happened
what you were doing at the time
who you were with
and explain how you handled this situation.
and explain why you felt angry.
----------------
I was consciously refraining from saying "um" "uh" and repeating myself, but at the end I definitely sounded less fluent. I started to slow down because I couldn't repeat myself. If I don't repeat myself, I'd probably get stuck searching for words.
A few questions:
1. I stuttered when I was trying to say the word "government" at 2:28, so I decided to correct myself. However, I stuttered again. I got kind of nervous at that moment. What do you suggest me to do at that situation?
2. Do you think what I was saying is a sensitive or touchy topic(politics) that should NOT be talked in IELTS test?
-------------------
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Angry.mp3
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 276 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: I quit repeating myself! Please rate my speaking.

Post by lmoore »

Hello,
You didn’t repeat yourself, just as you said! Nice work.
Your vocabulary was very good with words like “appalling,” and “indignant.”
If you don’t get a word’s pronunciation right the second time, just move on. You have to be confident enough to continue even if you make mistakes.
I cannot advise you as to the sensitivity of the topic you discussed in the context of an IELTS interview.
I noticed that you did not explain who you were with, if anyone, when you made this discovery, or how you handled the situation. You explained why you were mad, but you didn’t say what you did about it, as the task requires.
Here are some other points:
-I thought watching videos. . .COULD (not can – you want to stay in the past tense) help me improve my English.
- Which is a website you can make friends with native speakers – Facebook is a website on which you can make friends with native speakers.
-The pronunciation of “pronunciation” is not proNOUNCiation, but proNUNciation.
-I didn’t see any reason why Chinese government should block them. – I didn’t see any reason why THE Chinese government should block them.
-They are doing such a thing that kind of disrespect human rights. – They are doing something that kind of DISRESPECTS human rights.
-I don’t think the Chinese government has any legitimate reason doing it. – I don’t think the Chinese government has any legitimate reason TO DO it.
Keep up the good work!