task 2< road accidents>

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
durai

task 2< road accidents>

Post by durai »

Some people think that strict punishments for driving offences are the key to reducing traffic accidents. Others, however, believe that other measures should be more effective in improving road safety.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the last decade, the number of traffic accidents has significantly increased the world over. While some opine that such road accidents can be reduced by giving severe punishments for driving offences, others think that there are other effective solutions available. This essay will discuss both sides without any prejudice.

On the one hand, some argue that heavy penalties to drivers who breach the traffic law would reduce the accidents because these affect their normal life. To take Australia as an example, the government imposes heavy fines to the people who drink and drive . Besides this, they are cancelling licenses for them, and as a result, they cannot drive for a certain period of time. From such measures the accidents happened due to such offence have decreased since 2012 in that country. Thus, imposing strict penalties would act as a tremendous step to reduce accidents on the roads.

On the other hand, some believe that there should be other measures such as awareness programme could curb traffic accidents. For instance, a social welfare group in Coimbatore, India, is constantly encouraging road users to obey traffic rules. In fact, in many corners of the city, there are hanging banners to inform about the seriousness of unsafe driving. With such programme the number of accidents has decreased by 50% in the last two years. Thus, creating awareness among drivers would also considered as an effective solution.

Form this essay, it can be concluded that both strict punishments and awareness programmes act as catalyst to improve road safety. To my mind, the former one would be an effective way to reduce accidents in a short period of time because of its impact on every single offender.
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
allen_zhang

Re: task 2< road accidents>

Post by allen_zhang »

HI Durai,
Some personal understanding listed.
Most of them are wording choices. I cannot guarantee that my choices are all correct, I just tried to check those that I feel not natural. I could be wrong.

Over the last decade, the number of traffic accidents has significantly increased the world over. While some opine that such road accidents can be reduced by giving severe punishments for driving offences, others think that there are other effective solutions available. This essay will discuss both sides without any prejudice.

A good paragraph.
BTW, as I checked the "stiff punishment" which I used is also ok.

On the one hand, some argue that heavy penalties to drivers who breach the traffic law could reduce the accidents because these affect their normal life "affect their normal life" sounds not that clear enough. how it affects? in a good way or bad way? . To take Australia as an example, the government imposes heavy fines to the people who drink and drive . Besides this, they are cancelling as I checked,revoking or suspending will be better licenses for them, and as a result, they cannot drive for a certain period of time. From such measures After adopting such measures,the accidents happened due tocaused by such offence have significantly decreased since 2012 in that country. Thus, imposing strict penalties could act as a tremendous steppreventive tool to reduce accidents on the roads.

On the other hand, some believe that there should be other measures such as awareness programmes could curb traffic accidents. For instance, a social welfare group in Coimbatore, India, is constantly encouraging road users to obey traffic rules. In fact, in many corners of the city, there are hanging banners to inform about the seriousness of the consequence ofseriousness of driving sounds not good unsafe driving (as I checked, dangerous driving is a better phrase). With the help of such programme, the number of accidents has decreased by 50% in the last two years. Thus, creating promoting awareness among drivers could also be considered as an effective solution.

Form this essay, it can be concluded that both strict punishments and awareness programmes act as catalyst to improve road safety. To my mind, the former one would be an more effective way to reduce accidents in a short period of time because of its direct impact on every single offender.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
durai

Re: task 2< road accidents>

Post by durai »

thanks Allen,

In second supporting para i was thinking different words for " affect normal life", but couldn't think mof any.

do you have any weird essay topic to discuss...
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7