"DISCUSSION TOPICS"
Attachments
PART 3 DISCUSSION.mp3
(5.91 MiB) Downloaded 314 times
durai

Re: grade it please

Post by durai »

Hi Neha,

pronunciation is fair, I can understand through out, but some L1 interference,,,some words are pronounced wrongly , you could be around band 7.

lexical resource: you haven't used many uncommon words in everyday topic. for example, you have used "organise parties " many times in first question. instead you could used " throw out parties, celebrate events, arrange wedding functions, "
so it could be band 6.

Fluency and coherence: Though you have good fluency, you have used fillers very often such as uhh...umm..sounds and your answer lacks coherence. some unnatural pauses , I felt you were searching for a word, and no natural pauses between the sentences. so could be around band 6

regarding grammar , you have weak control of tenses,

take you first question, In my country, Pakistan, you say anyone either " in my country or Pakistan" generally people are the miuse of article organize organising is correct the parties

so it could be 6.

overall looks band 6.5 ( I am not an assessor, but I worked out your score with " IELTS speaking band descriptors")

suggestions: speak slowly, your fast speaking makes tough for the listener to relate your answers, check grammar and practice using appropriate grammar for the question. try to give good coherent answer.

With good practice you would able to reach 7 or 8.

Good luck.
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: grade it please

Post by lmoore »

Hi, Neha,
Overall, nice job on this topic. You were very fluent in your rate of speech and pronunciation most of the time. At one point, you said, “things like this,” but it sounded like “tings like dees.” Make sure you put your tongue between your teeth when you say words that begin with “th.” “Things” is a quiet sound, and in “this,” it’s a voiced sound, so you’ll hear and feel your vocal cords vibrate.
Most of the problems that I heard in this speech involved sentence structure and vocabulary. For example, you said “relishing themselves,” but it is better to say “enjoying themselves.” Here are a few more:
-They want to get in touch with their friends and family members – They want to SPEND TIME WITH their friends and family members. –Get in touch with means to contact someone you haven’t seen in a while.
-so it’s better in that case (when you were talking about giving money to the poor) – So what is better in what case? Are you saying that it is a better idea to give money to the poor than to spend a lot of money on parties?
-full-heartedly – The word you want is “wholeheartedly.”
-And more on, you have the same choices as your friends. – MOREOVER, you have the same choices as your friends.
-On the national level, we do celebrate. . .-No need for “do” here. Just “On the national level, we celebrate. . .”
-Everyone celebrate the national events – Everyone CELEBRATES national events.
-And everybody try to celebrate them as much as possible. – Everybody TRIES. . .
-The most biggest blessing for them – the biggest blessing for them.
-No, I don’t think so that - No, I don’t believe that, No, I don’t think that
- I think so that is the main reason why people organize the parties. . . – Same as above. . .I think that is the main reason why people organize parties. . .
-They are really, really important to be celebrated. – They are really important to celebrate.
-There is no need to put THE in front of parties or on front of national events. So, you would just say something like, “People organize parties for fun,” instead of “People organize the parties for fun. “ You would also say, “Everyone celebrates national events,” instead of “Everyone celebrates the national events.”

Best wishes as you continue to practice!