traffic problem task 2

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
durai

traffic problem task 2

Post by durai »

Some people think that the best way to reduce traffic problems is to build more roads. What is your opinion?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the last decade, the traffic problems have significantly increased in many cities the world over. While some opine that building many roads is the best solution to ease traffic congestion, to my mind, encouraging people to use public transport would be the best idea.

To begin with, construction of roads would be a short term measure to solve traffic problems. For example, many cities in India had been built with many roads since 2001 to split traffic. Unfortunately, as years passed, the vehicles on the roads have increased three fold. With such increase, cities are now facing traffic problems. That is the reason why laying more roads would be a short term measure and cannot be the best plan.

However, in my opinion, the best way to reduce the traffic should have long term effect. In that case, it is believed that peoples’ usage of public transport would decrease the number of private vehicles on the roads. Consider Melbourne, the second largest city in Australia, public is being constantly encouraged to use metropolitan trains and buses with discounted tickets and air-conditioned transit. With such measures, the number of private cars has reduced and easing congestion in the city areas. From this, it is clear that encouragement of public transport would ease traffic problems better than building roads.

To sum up, it is true that having more roads would reduce traffic for a while, but for a long term peoples’ usage of public transport is the best way. Let us hope that all governments would implement this viable way to solve the issue.
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7
candy07

Re: traffic problem task 2

Post by candy07 »

Hi Durai
This is a very good essay ... Good range of vocabulary ... Ideas flowing from one to another without any effort ... Easy to understand
Thanks
If you use has eased congestion in place of easing congestion it will look better
allen_zhang

Post by allen_zhang »

Hi Durai,
Looks like a good essay with good grammar control. I am trying to comment a little.
Some people think that the best way to reduce traffic problems is to build more roads. What is your opinion?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the last decade, the traffic problems have significantly increased in many cities the world over. While some opine that building many roads is the best solution to ease traffic congestion, to my mind, encouraging people to use public transport would be the best idea.

To begin with, construction of roads would be a short term measure to solve traffic problems. For example, many cities in India had been built with many roads since 2001 to split traffic. Unfortunately, as years passed, the vehicles on the roads have increased three fold. With such an increase, cities are now still facing traffic problems. That is the reason why laying more roads would be -->is; I guess we need to be assertive a short term measure and cannot be the best plan.

However,(There is no transition here. The first paragraph says building roads is a short term solution and this paragraph talks about long term solution. Your are still on the same side. So, However is not proper) in my opinion, the best way to reduce the(I would remove "the") traffic should have long term effect. In that case, it is believed that peoples’ usage of public transport would decrease the number of private vehicles on the roads. Consider Melbourne, the second largest city in Australia, public is being constantly encouraged to use metropolitan trains and buses with discounted tickets and air-conditioned transit. With such measures, the number of private cars has reduced and easing ,which eases congestion in the city areas. From this, it is clear that encouragement of taking public transport would ease traffic problems better than building roads I would remove this.

To sum up, it is true that having more roads would reduce traffic for a while, but for a long term, peoples’ usage of public transport is the best way for what?. Let us hope that all governments would will implement this viable way to solve the issue.
Best regards,
Allen
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
durai

Post by durai »

Hi Candy and Allen,

Thanks for your comments.

Allen, I used ' would' because its called hedging, means you cannot be 100% certain, in those cases you can use ' would'.

If I use 'will' then it is 100% certain.

I learned this at Ben Worthington podcast;

Durai
JAN 2014 L 8.5 R 8 W 6.5 S 6.5
FEB 2014 L 8 R 8 W 7 S 6.5
APR 2014 L 8 R 9 W 6.5 S 7
JUN 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6
July 2014 L 8.5 R 7 W 6.5 S 6.5
OCT 2014 L 7.5 R 7 W 7 S 7