Essay about artworks in public places, please help to check.

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
allen_zhang

Essay about artworks in public places, please help to check.

Post by allen_zhang »

Governments spend large amount of money in art and work such as painting and sculptures in public places?
Is it a good or bad thing?

It is quite common to see statues, paintings and sculptures in public places such as parks, squares and streets in big cities. While some people argue that these art projects are useless and a waste of money, I tend to believe that it is a good thing for governments to invest in these artworks.

On the one hand, I can understand why some people are against the funding of these projects in public places. One of the major concerns of them is that they believe state budget should go to other more critical areas like healthcare, education and infrastructure. They argue that citizens can benefit from the improvement of these services directly, whereas funding of artworks in public places is a completely waste of money.

However, I tend to support the idea of building art projects in public places because of their educational, cultural and even economic values. To take Shenzhen as an example, there are many statues and sculptures can be found in Center Park and City Square. These artworks server to educate people about this city and they have become landmarks and frequent talk points of Shenzhen. Visitors can learn the history and culture about this city through these artworks without which Shenzhen will be far less attractive and interesting to visitors. When the city is not attractive to visitors and tourists anymore, the economy of the city will also suffer. For the aforementioned reasons, we can see how important that these artworks are to a city.

To conclude, although there are certain reasons for people to disagree with the investment in artworks in public places, I personally support this idea because these art projects significantly add to the charm of a city.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
Johnson zhang

Re: Essay about artworks in public places, please help to ch

Post by Johnson zhang »

Governments spend large amount of money in art and work such as painting and sculptures in public places?
Is it a good or bad thing?

It is quite common to see statues, paintings and sculptures in public places such as parks, squares and streets in big cities. While some people argue that these art projects are useless and a waste of money, I tend to believe that it is a good thing for governments to invest in these artworks.

tend to believe ? weird.
looks like you are discussing, but you didn't state that in the intro? your thesis was unclear

Funding for art projects may have been abused in the past, it is regardless meaningful for governments to continue the support for artistic pursuits of the public.

On the one hand, I can understand why some people are against the funding of these projects in public places. One of the major concerns of them is that they believe state budget should go to other more critical areas like healthcare, education and infrastructure. They argue that citizens can benefit from the improvement of these services directly, whereas funding of artworks in public places is a completely waste of money.

your topic sentence didn't clearly indicate why it is ok to criticise those funding.

On the one side, it is understood that spending tax payer's money to fund arts for the minority can be sensitive.

However, I tend to support the idea of building art projects in public places because of their educational, cultural and even economic values. To take Shenzhen as an example, there are many statues and sculptures can be found in Center Park and City Square. These artworks server to educate people about this city and they have become landmarks and frequent talk points of Shenzhen. Visitors can learn the history and culture about this city through these artworks without which Shenzhen will be far less attractive and interesting to visitors. When the city is not attractive to visitors and tourists anymore, the economy of the city will also suffer. For the aforementioned reasons, we can see how important that these artworks are to a city.

tend to support?weird. however? not consistent.

On the other side, investments in art projects can have domino effects with their long term values.

To conclude, although there are certain reasons for people to disagree with the investment in artworks in public places, I personally support this idea because these art projects significantly add to the charm of a city.
Nothing is impossible! Band score 9 is certainly not.
allen_zhang

Re: Essay about artworks in public places, please help to ch

Post by allen_zhang »

Thanks Johnson,
I learned these sentences from native speakers.

"tend to believe" is ok.
Regarding the topic sentence, I don't think you always need to explain your idea just in one sentence.
I like the phrase "domino effect.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5