Academic IELTS 24/04/2014 in Lithuania

Have you taken the IELTS recently? Share your questions with other students here.
Lmbr

Academic IELTS 24/04/2014 in Lithuania

Post by Lmbr »

Listening
one conversation in some sort of a movie center
2nd one is about museums
3rd one about a school task
4th one professor talking about materials used for buildings if I remember correctly

Reading
1st one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ni%C3%B1o (El Nino)
2nd one - History of cars, was really interesting to read actually!
3rd one - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusia Amusia (musical disorder)

Writing tasks (same ones like in Saudi Arabia's test today, copied from topic created by a fellow IELTS student):
task 1 - bar graph shows the percentage of people who lived 65 years or more in 1980 and 2000, in Germany, Canada and the UK. And predictions for people in these same countries in 2030.
task 2 - Public transport should be funded by government. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Speaking:
Mostly studies, birthdays and letters.
Part2 - describe a letter you have received (from where, what was it about, etc)
Some Part3 of the questions I can remember:
- What are the disavantages of letters compared to e-mail?
- What are good qualities for writing letters in business?
Fatima

Re: Academic IELTS 24/04/2014 in Lithuania

Post by Fatima »

it seems that we had the same test, good! cause I wanted to ask.. how did you respond to the question in task 2 ?
I thought I understood the question very well, which was really easy, but now I started to have doubts :? especially now that I remember that I wrote less than 250 .. 2 weeks started to seem like eternity!
Reading and listening were rather easy, thank you for posting links for the passages, I found those topics interesting as well, and I would like to read more about them.
Lmbr

Post by Lmbr »

I just wrote a typical argument essay where I agreed with this idea. One of my arguments had to do with environment and the for my 2nd argument I basically wrote that it would give a lot of benefits to the aged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzasqSGlw30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK3ebsxAqlQ
Fatima wrote:2 weeks started to seem like eternity!
Couldn't agree more! After talking to my friends about the test I've counted at least 8 mistakes total in my reading+listening and there's most likely more than that.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi Lmbr,

That is a terrific recount of your experience. Thank you for sharing and for even providing links to more information on the topics you faced. How do you feel about your performance?
Lmbr

Post by Lmbr »

Ryan wrote:Hi Lmbr,

That is a terrific recount of your experience. Thank you for sharing and for even providing links to more information on the topics you faced. How do you feel about your performance?
First of all, I want to thank you for your videos! I must say they have really helped me with writing and speaking.

I need overall Band 6.5 for University of Edinburgh and I feel pretty good about my performance.

Writing topics were pretty fortunate in my opinion but I had only left myself around 3 minutes to reread my task 2 so I have no idea what band to expect from this part. Speaking task was not an easy topic for me but not too hard and I believe my fluency was good overall apart from maybe 1 or 2 hiccups.

Overall, if I would guess that my overall score will be Band 7.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Feeling confident about your performance is a good sign. Honestly, I would have found responding to your cue card a challenge. I can't remember the last time I received a letter!

I hope you get that band 7. Edinburgh is a beautiful city. :)
Fatima

Post by Fatima »

Lmbr wrote:I just wrote a typical argument essay where I agreed with this idea. One of my arguments had to do with environment and the for my 2nd argument I basically wrote that it would give a lot of benefits to the aged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzasqSGlw30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK3ebsxAqlQ
Fatima wrote:2 weeks started to seem like eternity!
Couldn't agree more! After talking to my friends about the test I've counted at least 8 mistakes total in my reading+listening and there's most likely more than that.
I followed this method too, I agreed firstly, and in body 1 I said this would lessen the congestion especially in big cities, my example was weak I suppose, I wrote that public transport in London is free and that has diminished the traffic jam (and this was a pure assumption). In body 2 I said this action would involves an encouragement for people to use this service more often, and as a result that would decrease the number of accidents.
And for conclusion I summarized, then added Ryan's sentence (It's hoped this strategy will be put into practice in the foreseeable future.)
I ran out of time before revising, so I remember now lots of mistakes.

even though I've learned several ways to write an essay, I find myself more comfortable with Ryan's method whenever I come to write. I honestly don't know what to say about his splendid contributions to the IELTS community, I hope that I get a good band, so when I say I've used his resources, people know how helpful they are.

Good luck.
Lmbr

Post by Lmbr »

Ryan wrote:Feeling confident about your performance is a good sign. Honestly, I would have found responding to your cue card a challenge. I can't remember the last time I received a letter!

Hey, me again, I passed my IELTS! So now only my state exams stand between me and Edinburgh.

I got 8.5 in listening, 7 reading, 6.5 writing, 7 speaking. So 7.5 overall. 8-)

I expected to get more from writing but I don't mind 6.5 since it was more than enough for me.

Thank you very much for your vids Ryan! They helped me so much! I will definitely recommend your youtube channel to my friends who will be taking IELTS in the future.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Lmbr wrote:
Ryan wrote:Feeling confident about your performance is a good sign. Honestly, I would have found responding to your cue card a challenge. I can't remember the last time I received a letter!

Hey, me again, I passed my IELTS! So now only my state exams stand between me and Edinburgh.

I got 8.5 in listening, 7 reading, 6.5 writing, 7 speaking. So 7.5 overall. 8-)

I expected to get more from writing but I don't mind 6.5 since it was more than enough for me.

Thank you very much for your vids Ryan! They helped me so much! I will definitely recommend your youtube channel to my friends who will be taking IELTS in the future.
Awesome news, Lmbr. Congratulations! Thank you for sharing the experience.

Good luck! :)
Ryan