pls check my task 2 essay - demolish old buildings

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
rairaichan0323

pls check my task 2 essay - demolish old buildings

Post by rairaichan0323 »

In some big cities, people plan to knock down old buildings in order to make space for new development. Is it a positive or a negative trend?

In this age of change, the human society is progressing rapidly on various fronts. In many modern societies, people tend to tear down old buildings for new development. Yet there remains some disagreement as just whether the overall effect of this planning has been positive or negative. I personally believe that the drawbacks of the knocking down the old building. This argument will be discussed by analyzing how pulling down them can destroy the city historical heritage and lost the city identity.

First of all, it is an undeniable fact that knocking down the ancient buildings can ruin the history of the city. Take Hong Kong as an example. Many valuable old buildings were knocked down due to modernize city. Consequently, a lot of tangible historical heritages were destroyed and we only can see them from the photos in the museum. As this shows that knocking down old erections is a negative trend for the city.

Secondly, and even more importantly, demolishing the old constructions can lead to the city losing its national identity. Imagine all cities having similar new style erections; therefore, they will become homogenous and will lose their unique local identity. Admittedly, although I certainly agreed that pulling down them and rebuild them is the most efficient method for development the society, destroying the old buildings is unfavorable for the city.

Following this look at how demolishing the ncient buildings can ruin the tangible historical heritage of the city and can lose the local characteristics, it is proven that it is negative to the city. Also I believe that it seems highly advisable for the government to preserve these valuable buildings.
Last edited by rairaichan0323 on Thu May 01, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.