12th April Sydney G IELTS Questions

Have you taken the IELTS recently? Share your questions with other students here.
DicroticNotch

12th April Sydney G IELTS Questions

Post by DicroticNotch »

Dear all, here are the questioins asked on the 12th April

Writing:

Task 1:

You have a friend in England and you would like to invite him to watch a movie about your country.

* Mention abouot the movie.
* Why do you think your friend would interested in that movie?
* Organise a meeting.

Task 2:

Some people prefer to work only one type of job in their entire life. While, others prefer to change their jobs many times.

Discuss both sides and give your opinion.

Speaking:

Introduction

Where do you live here.
Who do you live with?
Are you happy for living there or what are the things you are not happy with?
Would you think changing and moving somewhere else? Why?

Task question to note down:

Do you help people?
How often?
Who do you help?

Task question:

Do you think collegues working at the same place should help each other? Why?
Do you think collegues should help eachother other than job related issues?
What do you expect from your employer?

Reading and listening were easy until 20th questions. However after that It's been very hard.

I must confess that I regret that I didn't starti from the last reading task as when I saw it I got nervous and struggled to read and reply because It seemed me very advance. It was about a bird species and their breeding, behaviours, social relations, plays, hunting technique etc. However, when I started reading I realised that it wasn't that hard at all. Nevertheless, it had paragraph heading questions which had many words that I didnt know what they meant.

Other questions were about;

An explanation sheet about payments for overtime working for part-time and full-time employees in terms of when, how many hours they work, how much they get paid.

Different type of surf courses in America, California I guess and the facilities, oppotunities they provide.

I forgot the True False questions's reading task subject. They asked true false questions from only one task.

Listening questions were classic. A lady called an insurance company and adress abd postcode completion, what happened. Another one was about different facilities at a funfair.Where to eat there, which facility does what etc. Table filling while a tutor and student discussing about different subjects, reseach types, study materials, and how to prepare an assessment and what to do for the presentation of it.
The last one was about dolphins and a type of bird. A woman was talking about their intelligence and the clues of their intelligence, their behaviors, examples etc.. The last one was so cute. She gave an example about a female dolphin that she was collecting rubbish in the pool and every time she did it, she was awarded a fish by her trainer. So, she hid a newspaper in the pool and she was tearing a small piece off everytime time she wanted fish.

I expect to get around 6 from listening and reading. There were times I lost my concentration since I couldn't sleep properly the night before and didn't really practice as I aimed to get 6 for this time. Fingers crossed!

Speaking, I had 5,5 and 6,5 before in a row. So I hope I will get something around 6.

However, I can not be very optimistic about writing part. :(

Task 2 was coherent, cohesive, the task question was delivered with enough and accurate examples according to Ryan's Task 2 ebook. I doubt that I used many advance words but I guess it was just enough. As a result I can apparently get 6.

Unfortunetely for task 1 I guess I wrote just over 125 words. It was cohesive, coherent and all the questions were delievered. It had an informal style and a couple of good words. So, comparing to marking sheet that examiners use, I could get 5,5 easly if I wrote at least 150 words. So, I have a question here, I wonder how much the examiners would penalise me for that issue? If any idea, please share..

I will get my results on 24th of April and surely will share here. Nevertheless, I will be around here since getting 7 is my new aim. :)
DicroticNotch

Re: 12th April Sydney G IELTS Questions

Post by DicroticNotch »

I'm really disappointed. Nobody has replied so far although 64 people viewed it like I am talking to myself..thanks.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thank for for that very detailed account, DN. I'm sure the 60+ viewers of this post also benefitted. Maybe they were just too shy to tell you so. :)
DicroticNotch wrote:
Unfortunetely for task 1 I guess I wrote just over 125 words. It was cohesive, coherent and all the questions were delievered. It had an informal style and a couple of good words. So, comparing to marking sheet that examiners use, I could get 5,5 easly if I wrote at least 150 words. So, I have a question here, I wonder how much the examiners would penalise me for that issue? If any idea, please share..
Regarding the above question, I'm honestly not 100% sure how under length is penalised. However, I've heard the penalty isn't very harsh. Perhaps 0.25 taken from the overall writing band if both Tasks do not meet the length requirement. Don't forget that a short answer could impact Task Achievement and maybe Coherence and Cohesion marks, too.

Please update us regarding your progress.
DicroticNotch

Post by DicroticNotch »

Feeling happier now :D

Thank you for your kind reply. I'll definetly keep you and other friends posted.

Cheers.
ArshadSiddiquie

Post by ArshadSiddiquie »

Thanks DN !

very useful post.Will help me for sure .
DicroticNotch

Post by DicroticNotch »

Dear Friends,

Everytime I read msgs similar to mine, I have always expected to learn other people's results. So, I am going to share it with you.

S,L,R:6.5
W:6

I have got my results as I expected. Writing part was the one I was most concerned as you know. However, deep in my heart I knew that I'd done enough to get 6. As everybody have done so far, I'd like to thank Ryan for preparing his very beneficial Task-2 IELTS preperation e-book. I have wasted too much time to get a point on how to write essays in accordance with IELTS examiners expectation and couldn't take any course because of some reasons. This book has been prepared in order to teach the mathematic of how to write different variety of essays accordingly. It was the only way I could learn.

Now, my next target is to get 7 individual. I have more time to get ready for that..Thus, I will still be around..

My recommendation for future IELTS participants is that read read read, write write write...

Cheers.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hi Dicrotic,

I am sure that information helps a lot of people even if they haven't told you so. If it has 64 views, i'm sure it is highly valued. Good luck with your quest for Band 7!
DicroticNotch

Post by DicroticNotch »

Thanks Joe!

As a matter of fact I was disappointed not because people didn't thank me, but because nobody wrote any comment about the amount of score the examiner would cut off as I couldn't deliver 150 words for the Task 1. I was pretty impatient and for the first few days I kept looking at the examiners scoring sheets, heh..:D

I shared everything about my exam experience just return the favour of other members sharings..and ofcourse Ryan's free guidience here..