Scoring an 8 in IELTS

Have you taken the IELTS recently? Share your questions with other students here.
imrahul

Scoring an 8 in IELTS

Post by imrahul »

I am taking the IELTS for immigration purpose, and need to score an 8 to get the maximum points under language category to be eligible.

My first attempt at IELTS (Acad) in Oct gave me L -8, R 7.5, W -8, S 8. So, I took the IELTS (GT) again in Jan and scored L -9, R 8.5, W - 7, S 8.

Is anyone aware whether I could use the results of both these tests to be eligible for the max points? I checked the website but it does not mention whether the scores have to be on the same test.
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Re: Scoring an 8 in IELTS

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

imrahul wrote:I am taking the IELTS for immigration purpose, and need to score an 8 to get the maximum points under language category to be eligible.

My first attempt at IELTS (Acad) in Oct gave me L -8, R 7.5, W -8, S 8. So, I took the IELTS (GT) again in Jan and scored L -9, R 8.5, W - 7, S 8.

Is anyone aware whether I could use the results of both these tests to be eligible for the max points? I checked the website but it does not mention whether the scores have to be on the same test.
I have taught the IELTS for 4 years by Skype and never heard of anything like that being possible - however you could always email them and let us know the result :-).
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
imrahul

Post by imrahul »

Well, I wrote to the immigration department and they responded that this needs to be addressed by the Australian High Commission. I have written to AHC, and am awaiting their response.
OnlineEnglishTeacher wrote:
imrahul wrote:I am taking the IELTS for immigration purpose, and need to score an 8 to get the maximum points under language category to be eligible.

I have taught the IELTS for 4 years by Skype and never heard of anything like that being possible - however you could always email them and let us know the result :-).
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

imrahul wrote:Well, I wrote to the immigration department and they responded that this needs to be addressed by the Australian High Commission. I have written to AHC, and am awaiting their response.

I see - perhaps some institutions around the world might be happy with that situation, I am not sure.
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
jobyvarghese

Post by jobyvarghese »

jobyvarghese

Post by jobyvarghese »

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

imrahul wrote:Well, I wrote to the immigration department and they responded that this needs to be addressed by the Australian High Commission. I have written to AHC, and am awaiting their response.

Hi Imrahul,

I have never heard of marks being combined in this way, but I do think it is interesting that the immigration department would pass you on to the AHC. Let's hope for the best. ;)
imrahul

Post by imrahul »

Finally, I took the IELTS again and this time the scores came out better - L 9.0, R 8.5, W 8.0, S 8.5.
Happy that I have an 8 in each, as this was important to get the required points.

Going through this site and tips from the participants has helped a lot. Thanks everyone for your help!
ariel

Post by ariel »

imrahul wrote:Finally, I took the IELTS again and this time the scores came out better - L 9.0, R 8.5, W 8.0, S 8.5.
Happy that I have an 8 in each, as this was important to get the required points.

Going through this site and tips from the participants has helped a lot. Thanks everyone for your help!
Hi imrahul,
I am also taking the IELTS for immigration purpose.
I tried to find information about the possibility to use results of two different tests, but didn't succeed with it.
So please be kind and reply the answer you got from the Australian High Commission.
best regards,
Ariel :ugeek:
imrahul

Post by imrahul »

Hi Ariel,
The Australian High commission reverted that they can not consider scores from two different tests. The scores have to be on the same test. So, I had to take the test again. All the best!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi imrahul,

Those are some amazing marks! Let me know if we can arrange an IELTSCast.com interview. :)

Thank you for sharing the news about what the Australian High Commission told you.

What's next for you? How much longer will it be before you are an Australian?
imrahul

Post by imrahul »

Thanks Ryan. I will be happy to share my experience.
M10vir

Post by M10vir »

Hi Imrahul,
I'm also preparing for IELTS and my target is 8, and its seem very hard to me, So please can you share some tips about which books or links I have to follow?

Thanks
imrahul

Post by imrahul »

Hi M10vir,

After scoring an 8, I can say that it is difficult but not impossible. This forum is a big help to all IELTS takers. Just reading others' experiences with the exam will help.

Which part of the test do you find the hardest?

Some tips which might be helpful -
Reading & Listening -
1. Read each question carefully. During practice, I wrote the wrong answer despite knowing the right one because I misread the question.
2. I read the passages from IDP, British Council and Cambridge books to get an idea about the type of passages which figure in the test
3. For Listening, the CDs which came with the books helped
4. If you are taking the IELTS through British Council, their online training course is helpful

Writing
1. Practice your writing (write on the topic in the given time - 20 or 40 minutes)
2. Pay attention to grammar and try to use a wide range of phrases and complex sentences
3. The topics shared on this forum will help you get the practice
4. During the test, spend the first five minutes jotting down points
5. Attempt the Task 2 first - (about 35 mins.)
6. For Task 2, jot down your points (the format below helped me)
View | Counter View
|______________________________________
7. My essay (Task 2) was structured as follows -
a. Topic introduction (about 40 words)
b. View with Points for and against - added examples to elaborate the point (about 100 words)
c. Counter view with points for and against - added examples to elaborate the point (about 80 words)
d. Conclusion - state your opinion and the reasons (about 40 words)
8. For getting practice on quickly deciphering any topic, you can follow point 6 above.

If you have any specific queries, my mail id is rahul.im3@gmail.com