Task 1: Please evaluate and give your valuable feedback

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
lucifer169

Task 1: Please evaluate and give your valuable feedback

Post by lucifer169 »

Task 1
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (79.56 KiB) Viewed 5939 times
Dear Julie,

Hope you’re doing well. I’m writing to you in response to your letter about the racket I caused on the night of 4th of July 2020.

As you might already be aware, 4th of July is celebrated as the Independence Day in the United States. Given the festive mood, I decided to throw a small party at my apartment that night to celebrate it even though it was a weekday. Unfortunately, it got a bit out of hand and we ended up making a lot of noise.

I am truly sorry for my actions that night and wanted to take this opportunity to apologize to you. It was not good neighbourly behaviour on my part, and I should have kept your inconvenience in mind.

Moving forward, I will ensure that I always keep the noise to a minimum whenever there’s a get together at my apartment. Additionally, I will try my best to end these parties before 10pm to honour the quiet hours policy set by our apartment community.

Again, I’m sorry for the troubles I caused you that night and hope you can forgive me for it.

Sincerely,
Laveesh
Last edited by lucifer169 on Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldcoastielts

Re: Task 1: Please evaluate and give your valuable feedback

Post by goldcoastielts »

IELTS 2.0+ course : https://www.goldcoastielts.com/course
IELTS essay check : https://www.goldcoastielts.com/essays
Online IELTS lessons : https://www.goldcoastielts.com/lessons
IELTS Freebies!! : https://www.goldcoastielts.com/freebies

YouTube - "TASK 2 THE BRAINSTORM NOTEBOOK" : https://youtu.be/dxNlUByQKNg

Thanks for your submission lucifer169!! Please see my rewrite below ... :ugeek:

Dear Julie,

Hope you’re doing well. I’m writing to you in response to your letter about the racket I caused on the night of 4th of July 2020.

As you might already be aware, THE 4th of July is celebrated as (delete 'the') Independence Day in the United States, AND given the festive mood, I decided to throw a small party at my apartment that night to celebrate (delete 'it') (even though it was a weekday). Unfortunately, it got a bit out of hand and we ended up making QUITE (add this adverb to soften your misbehaviour) a lot of noise.

I am truly sorry for my actions that night and wanted to take this opportunity to apologize to you. I REALISE NOW THAT it was not good neighbourly behaviour on my part, and I should have kept your inconvenience in mind .. PUT A BIT MORE THOUGHT INTO HOW IT WOULD AFFECT YOU.

Moving forward .. IN THE FUTURE, I will ensure that I always keep the noise to a minimum whenever there’s a get-together at my apartment. Additionally, I will try my best to end these parties before 10pm to honour ("abide by" might be a better choice here) the quiet hours policy set by our apartment community.

Again, I’m sorry for ANY TROUBLE I caused you that night and hope you can forgive me (delete 'for it').

Sincerely,
Laveesh

Great great letter! Really good job. I can only detect the smallest problems in this letter. You should be proud of this one. :ugeek:

Advice:
1. Special days like Christmas Day, New Years Day, and Independence Day do not require 'the'. However, we do say "THE 4th of July". English is very strange!!
2. Try not to use made up phrases like "keep your inconvenience in mind". This is impossible to understand. If you had said "keep your convenience in mind" it might have made more sense, but still the way I wrote it would be a better way to phrase this idea.
3. I think 'get together' is a phrasal verb, 'get-together- is a noun meaning 'party'.

Band-score:
TA: 7.5 (I think you answered a different question from the one you scanned and uploaded, but I can imagine the real question)
G: 8.5 (the grammar is basically flawless)
V: 8.0 ("any trouble" not "the troubles")
CC: 8.0
Last edited by goldcoastielts on Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony Schultz :arrow: :arrow:
Full-time IELTS teacher | Gold Coast, Australia
www.goldcoastielts.com
lucifer169

Post by lucifer169 »

Thanks for the great feedback @goldcoastielts, I'll keep your pointers in mind in the future. :)

(And thanks for catching the wrong question, fixed that!)
goldcoastielts

Post by goldcoastielts »

God luck for the exam! :ugeek:
Anthony Schultz :arrow: :arrow:
Full-time IELTS teacher | Gold Coast, Australia
www.goldcoastielts.com