scored 8.5 overall in 2017 Academic IELTS

Did you achieve the mark you need? Motivate others by sharing your story.
rramnani

scored 8.5 overall in 2017 Academic IELTS

Post by rramnani »

I appeared for the IELTS Academic exam on Dec 16,2017. (my first shot)
I received an overall 8.5 (Listening - 8, Reading - 9, Writing - 7.5 and Speaking - 8.5)
I went beyond my initial target of overall 8.0 band.

I booked the test about 15 days prior to the test day. Within 2 weeks, I had to learn IELTS skills and improve English skills if possible.
I watched the IELTS strategy video from Ryan on YouTube which gave tips from 9.0 band scorers. Here's the video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIIEz0bSTVs&t=4261s

Tips (which I followed and they really helped me achieve the score I desired) -
1. Practice tests
2. Improve on listening to various accents.
3. Speak like you know the thing which you are going to talk about. Be confident.
4. Practice coached writing.

On this blog, I found the 'Latest IELTS questions' section really useful.

Wshing all the prospective IELTS candidates the very best.

Happy Holidays!
IELTS IDP INDIA

Re: scored 8.5 overall in 2017 Academic IELTS

Post by IELTS IDP INDIA »

Here are some good video tips for the speaking test

do a youtube search for ieltsidp

for writing

General:
The best practice is to do practice tests, within the allotted time, and get feedback from a native like language teacher
Use clear paragraphs with a variety of joining and sequencing phrases: but don't be mechanical in how you use language … e.g. first, second, third etc.
Develop one major idea in each body paragraph
Have an introduction and conclusion of appropriate length
Use a variety of more complex vocabulary and grammar constructions – don't focus only on being correct, without also being varied in your expression
DO NOT write less than the suggested minium number of words – you will be penalized. Write at least 50 words more than the minimum.
Plan before writing.... you don't have time to start again and this is not like a computer test where you can cut and paste

Task 1:
If it is a graph or table, make sure you cover most of the key data, including not only the trends, but also some of the specific figures or numbers.
If it is a diagram, make sure you describe all the key stages of the process or key aspects of the change.
You should provide a clear overview of the data/trends/stages at the start or end of your response.

Task 2:
Task 2 is weighted more heavily than Task 1, so leave sufficient time to write a good response
Make sure you answer all parts of the question (analyse what you are asked to do carefully)
Provide example or evidence for your main points
Give an opinion and justify it

Look for the offical websites to provide the clearest similar practice tasks to the types of questions asked in the writing test.

you can also also get free access to 30-days of free IELTS online preparation with your registration! visit ieltsidpindia.com for more information.

Best of Luck !!!
Book your IELTS Test 2019 with IELTS IDP INDIA - Don't Delay - Click here