When was the last time you read a book?

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
Chi

When was the last time you read a book?

Post by Chi »

Do you read? And if you do, when was the last time you read a book. I mean the kind of reading to enjoy yourself, not for study or work purposes.

It's been more than a year since I last read a book. It was The Hobbit which I read it just before the first movie was coming out.

I love reading, but since I was caught up with so much work and study, I didn't have time for that luxury. I miss the feeling of picking up a good book and just cannot put it down. So, I decided to read again, since I am having a bit more time now.

I borrowed Alice's Adventures In Wonderland (or Alice In Wonderland) from the library. I am not buying books these days because they are quite expensive and....heavy. I don't wanna keep them since I am renting and moving with books would be a hassle. I really want to read this book, although I have seen several cinematographic versions of it, I have never actually read it. Another reason for picking this book, out of many other options, is from a client that I met few months back. Being a tax profession, I meet people from variety of backgrounds, culturally and professionally. Sometimes we have little chit chats to ease the awkwardness when I am working on the computer and the other person keeps staring at me or the computer screen or something else. This woman was very nice and polite, and I like nice and polite people. Through the interview, I found out that she was a teacher and she was doing a Doctorate degree in literature. The fact that someone is doing a PhD is fascinating to me, it is even more fascinating that someone is doing a PhD in literature. For me, it takes a lot of passion and courage to devote a four year or longer period to research on a particular subject, yet literature! So, I asked about her research area to find out it was Alice in Wonderland. Since then I've always wanted to read the book to compare it with the movie interpretations I've seen.

So, here I am with Alice in Wonderland, the edition with remarkable illustrations by the Australian legendary artist, Robert Ingpen. The book looks fantastic and I am actually thinking about buying one copy for myself.

I also believe that reading is a great way to learn English. And if you do have the same interest as mine, please share or recommend some books to read.

Now, let the adventure begin with Alice falling through the rabbit hole ;)
Ryan

Re: When was the last time you read a book?

Post by Ryan »

This is a great idea for a thread, Chi. Thank you for starting it.

The Hobbit! That was one of my all time favourite books as a child. I should make time to read it again. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

The last book I read unrelated to work would be Dubliners. It's a group of short stories that take place in Ireland. The stories themselves are independent of each other (aside from a few common themes) and offer an interesting window into the lives of ordinary Irish people around the turn of the 20th century. This is a book I first read when I was about 22, and I've really enjoyed revisiting it now that I am a bit older (32). I feel I relate to the characters much differently now.

There is one story in particular that has made an impression on me. It is called "A Painful Case" and tells of an older, single man whose routine-based life is briefly disrupted by a platonic friendship with an unhappily married woman. However, his discomfort with the secret nature of their relationship and with the sense that deeper feelings may be developing leads him to halt their meetings.

After four years without any communication, the man comes to know that his former friend has died and that her end may have been a suicide. I find the description of how he makes this discovery haunting:
One evening as he was about to put a morsel of corned beef and cabbage into his mouth his hand stopped. His eyes fixed themselves on a paragraph in the evening paper which he had propped against the water-carafe. He replaced the morsel of food on his plate and read the paragraph attentively. Then he drank a glass of water, pushed his plate to one side, doubled the paper down before him between his elbows and read the paragraph over and over again. The cabbage began to deposit a cold white grease on his plate. The girl came over to him to ask was his dinner not properly cooked. He said it was very good and ate a few mouthfuls of it with difficulty. Then he paid his bill and went out.

He walked along quickly through the November twilight, his stout hazel stick striking the ground regularly, the fringe of the buff Mail peeping out of a side-pocket of his tight reefer overcoat. On the lonely road which leads from the Parkgate to Chapelizod he slackened his pace. His stick struck the ground less emphatically and his breath, issuing irregularly, almost with a sighing sound, condensed in the wintry air. When he reached his house he went up at once to his bedroom and, taking the paper from his pocket, read the paragraph again by the failing light of the window. He read it not aloud, but moving his lips as a priest does when he reads the prayers Secreto.

Source: http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/j/joyce/j ... #chapter11
This discovery causes the man to reevaluate his relationship with the woman, her solitude, his solitude and the fact that despite their different lives, she was likely his last chance at deep, meaningful friendship. The story ends with a beautiful line that I feel communicates the true despair of this realization:
...he felt that he had been outcast from life’s feast.
To me, the presentation of hopelessness in this line is chilling.

Anyway, I don't see direct parallels between the events in this story and my own life, but I do think everyone experiences moments when a few seconds can change the way you see both yourself and your position in the world.

On a happier note, I'm currently making my way through Gulliver's Travels. I only read a few pages each night before bed (like you, Chi, I find it extremely difficult to make time to read for pleasure), but it's a nice, lighthearted story ... and it was in a bargain bin of a bookstore for only $5! :D
Chi

Post by Chi »

Thanks Ryan for sharing your reading experience. It is truly amazing how words can move. Just from the extract of the story and from your summary, it seems like I could feel the man's sorrow and regret, but he could not undo time and return to the past. This kind of story is very emotional draining and I try to avoid reading anything like this these days. :D

Gulliver's Travels is definitely an enjoyable book. I read it when I was very little so I don't remember most of the story. But I till remember the illustration for the cover page with Gulliver being tied down with ropes by many little people.

I just came to realize that I read a lot of children's books, and my favorite of all time are: Pippy Longstocking, Tottochan: the little girl at the window, Treasure Island, and Harry Porter series. Among these, Tottochan might be the least popular around the world, despite the fact that it was the best seller when first published in Japan. When I was small, I enjoyed Tottochan's adventures in her unique school with classrooms made out of train carriages. As a grown up, I am in awe of how Tottochan's encounter with Mr Kobayashi, the headmaster of this school, possibly changed her life. Tottochan was a lively and active girl who did not fit in the conventional education system. She was expelled from the public school only few months after she started her first grade. Tottochan's mother took her to Tomoe, where for the first time when she met Mr Kobayashi, he sat her down and listened to Tottochan's stories for 4 hours. Of course at that age, Tottochan couldn't understand why she was expelled from her previous school, but Mr Kobayashi's patience and attentiveness definitely made Tottochan feel valuable! I do highly recommend this book, especially if someone is in search of reading materials for their children. :D

One of my favorite authors is Mo Yan, a Chinese novelist, although his books are definitely not easy and lighthearted to read. I started reading his books more than 10 years ago, and was drawn by his way of telling stories, which is so effortless and so unique, you cannot mistaken him for anyone else. Unfortunately I could not read his books in Chinese but only Vietnamese translation. Few of Mo Yan's books have been made into movies, such as Red Sorghum and Happy Times, both directed by Zhang YiMou. If you could find his books in English, they are absolutely worth reading.

Gosh, I really get carried away when I talk about books, don't I?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Chi wrote:
Gulliver's Travels is definitely an enjoyable book. I read it when I was very little so I don't remember most of the story. But I till remember the illustration for the cover page with Gulliver being tied down with ropes by many little people.
That same image appears on the cover of the copy I have. :) Here is a quick snap:

Chi wrote:
One of my favorite authors is Mo Yan, a Chinese novelist, although his books are definitely not easy and lighthearted to read. I started reading his books more than 10 years ago, and was drawn by his way of telling stories, which is so effortless and so unique, you cannot mistaken him for anyone else. Unfortunately I could not read his books in Chinese but only Vietnamese translation. Few of Mo Yan's books have been made into movies, such as Red Sorghum and Happy Times, both directed by Zhang YiMou. If you could find his books in English, they are absolutely worth reading.
I haven't heard of him. Thank you for the suggestion. While in China, I also read a few books by Chinese authors. But one I unfortunately never got around to reading is Journey to the West. Most people know the story (or at least parts of it, as many of the subplots have been spun off as stories themselves). I just find it fascinating that such an elaborate work of fiction could be crafted in the 1600s. Deep creativity certainly does exist in all ages.
Chi wrote: Gosh, I really get carried away when I talk about books, don't I?
There's nothing wrong with that. :) What Vietnamese titles do you recommend?
petryworn

Post by petryworn »

The last book that I read was "Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver. I started reading it last week. It's a nice book that will make you realize what's important in life.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thank you for sharing, petrywon.
Chi

Post by Chi »

That same image appears on the cover of the copy I have. :) Here is a quick snap:

:) The book that I had has a different illustration but the same theme, of course.
While in China, I also read a few books by Chinese authors.
Did you read those in Chinese or English?
But one I unfortunately never got around to reading is Journey to the West. Most people know the story (or at least parts of it, as many of the subplots have been spun off as stories themselves). I just find it fascinating that such an elaborate work of fiction could be crafted in the 1600s. Deep creativity certainly does exist in all ages.
You don't need to be in China to read Chinese books. :D China is indeed home to many great books, such as "Three kingdoms", "Water margin". I am actually more familiar with Chinese literature than Western literature, so if you know any good author, please do recommend! However, I am not interested in anything like "Fifty Shades of Grey" - Those books are actually very poorly written, it is so strange how popular they are!
What Vietnamese titles do you recommend?
It is really hard for me to recommend any Vietnamese title. Although there are a few young writers who I find quite talented, most of their works are in Vietnamese so there's no point recommending them. :)
Chi

Post by Chi »

petryworn wrote:The last book that I read was "Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver. I started reading it last week. It's a nice book that will make you realize what's important in life.
Thanks Petryworm for sharing. "Before I Fall" seems to be an nice book to read. It's rated 3.9/5 by Goodreads and 4.5/5 by Barnes & Noble - it does receive some good reviews!

Enjoy your read and maybe you can share with us some more after you finish with the book? :)
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

Chi wrote:Do you read? And if you do, when was the last time you read a book. I mean the kind of reading to enjoy yourself, not for study or work purposes.

It's been more than a year since I last read a book. It was The Hobbit which I read it just before the first movie was coming out.

I love reading, but since I was caught up with so much work and study, I didn't have time for that luxury. I miss the feeling of picking up a good book and just cannot put it down. So, I decided to read again, since I am having a bit more time now.

I borrowed Alice's Adventures In Wonderland (or Alice In Wonderland) from the library. I am not buying books these days because they are quite expensive and....heavy. I don't wanna keep them since I am renting and moving with books would be a hassle. I really want to read this book, although I have seen several cinematographic versions of it, I have never actually read it. Another reason for picking this book, out of many other options, is from a client that I met few months back. Being a tax profession, I meet people from variety of backgrounds, culturally and professionally. Sometimes we have little chit chats to ease the awkwardness when I am working on the computer and the other person keeps staring at me or the computer screen or something else. This woman was very nice and polite, and I like nice and polite people. Through the interview, I found out that she was a teacher and she was doing a Doctorate degree in literature. The fact that someone is doing a PhD is fascinating to me, it is even more fascinating that someone is doing a PhD in literature. For me, it takes a lot of passion and courage to devote a four year or longer period to research on a particular subject, yet literature! So, I asked about her research area to find out it was Alice in Wonderland. Since then I've always wanted to read the book to compare it with the movie interpretations I've seen.

So, here I am with Alice in Wonderland, the edition with remarkable illustrations by the Australian legendary artist, Robert Ingpen. The book looks fantastic and I am actually thinking about buying one copy for myself.

I also believe that reading is a great way to learn English. And if you do have the same interest as mine, please share or recommend some books to read.

Now, let the adventure begin with Alice falling through the rabbit hole ;)
Going back to the IELTS, one issue is that older books might have older/archaic vocabulary etc., however absolutely I agree it is possible to gain knowledge from previous scholars.
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
Chi

Post by Chi »

Going back to the IELTS, one issue is that older books might have older/archaic vocabulary etc., however absolutely I agree it is possible to gain knowledge from previous scholars.
There's no rule saying that you have to read older books ;)
OnlineEnglishTeacher

Post by OnlineEnglishTeacher »

Chi wrote:
There's no rule saying that you have to read older books ;)
Perhaps I misunderstood this thread - you were talking about reading somewhat older books like Alice In Wonderland and Gulliver's Travels :-)? Anyway, sure you can read whatever you want :-).
Free Ebook For IELTS Tips

Skype IELTS Teacher (All Sections) - Try For $1 / Also, IELTS Writing Correction (Upload): $1 Demo - Skype ID = "ieltsonlineenglishteacher"
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Chi wrote:
Did you read those in Chinese or English?
In English. Shanghai has several good bookstores that provide a wide selection of translated local titles. I wish Doha had something similar!

This is a little off topic, but I've heard a rumour that Facebook may become blocked in Vietnam. Is this true?
Chi

Post by Chi »

This is a little off topic, but I've heard a rumour that Facebook may become blocked in Vietnam. Is this true?
It's been "unofficially" blocked in Vietnam for quite a long time. But people still find different ways to access it. It is unofficial because the government does not ban Facebook publicly, but you can't go on Facebook without tricks. It is ridiculous!
adam1979

Post by adam1979 »

"When was the last time you read a book?"
That would be "Ultimatum" by Simon Kernick. It's a thriller.
Currently reading "Watch your back" by Karen Rose, also a thriller.
Reading is my favorite pastime. I read between 60 and 70 books a year. It's my saving grace when it comes to the English language. Without reading I don't think I would have gotten this far (for what it's worth).

The best book I've read in the past 6 months? That would be "Man without a breath" by Phillip Kerr.

Plenty of favorite writers: Martin Amis, Lee Child, Phillip Kerr, Michael Connelly, Jo Nesbo, James Lee Burke, Murakami, Achebe, ...and on and on.

There's a pure unadulterated pleasure that only reading fiction can bring. As Martin Amis says: "the trouble with life.... is its amorphousness, its ridiculous fluidity. Look at it: thinly plotted, largely themeless, sentimental and ineluctably trite. The dialogue is poor, or at least violently uneven. The twists are either predictable or sensationalist. And it’s always the same beginning, and the same ending.” And this is why I think we invented fiction.
Chi

Post by Chi »

Hi Adam1979,

Thanks for sharing your passion for reading. It's truly amazing how much you read and how you could even find time to do it. But I guess when you really love something, you would make time for it.

I agree with the quote by Martin Amis. For me, reading fictions allows me to live others' experience that I don't have a chance to do in real life. Some times I learn from the characters' stories, other times I just enjoy it.

I am not quite familiar with the writers that you mentioned, except for Haruki Murakami. I've read some of this works, and my favorite is Norwegian Wood. Other books, such as The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle or Kafka on the Shore, are too slow and draggy, and not really my cup of tea.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Chi wrote:
It's been "unofficially" blocked in Vietnam for quite a long time. But people still find different ways to access it. It is unofficial because the government does not ban Facebook publicly, but you can't go on Facebook without tricks. It is ridiculous!
(Sorry to continue the deviation from the main topic!)

Chi, how about youku.com? Does it run nice and fast in Vietnam?
Chi

Post by Chi »

Chi, how about youku.com? Does it run nice and fast in Vietnam?
I've never heard of youku.com before. I will let you know if the page runs in Vietnam because I am going back next week :D
Jamshid

Post by Jamshid »

Hello friends!

Nowadays, I am reading a wonderful book called "Rich dad, Poor dad" by Robert Kiyosaki! It highlights the different attitudes to money, work and life of two men (i.e. his titular "rich dad" and "poor dad"), and how they in turn influenced key decisions in Kiyosaki's life. I advise you to read this book because it is so interesting!
Rich Dad Poor Dad is a book by Robert Kiyosaki. It advocates financial independence and building wealth through investing, real estate investing, starting and owning businesses, as well as increasing one's financial intelligence. Rich Dad Poor Dad is written in the style of a set of parables, ostensibly based on Kiyosaki's life. Kiyosaki stresses the ownership of high value assets that produces cash flow, rather than being an employee in the book. - Wikipedia
“In school we learn that mistakes are bad, and we are punished for making them. Yet, if you look at the way humans are designed to learn, we learn by making mistakes. We learn to walk by falling down. If we never fell down, we would never walk.”
― Robert T. Kiyosaki, Rich Dad, Poor Dad

“Winners are not afraid of losing. But losers are. Failure is part of the process of success. People who avoid failure also avoid success.”

“You’re only poor if you give up. The most important thing is that you did something. Most people only talk and dream of getting rich. You’ve done something.”

“Emotions are what make us human. Make us real. The word 'emotion' stands for energy in motion. Be truthful about your emotions, and use your mind and emotions in your favor, not against yourself.”

You may download the e-version of the book here -> http://paulasset.com/wp-content/uploads ... OR-DAD.pdf
Chi

Post by Chi »

Nowadays, I am reading a wonderful book called "Rich dad, Poor dad" by Robert Kiyosaki! It highlights the different attitudes to money, work and life of two men (i.e. his titular "rich dad" and "poor dad"), and how they in turn influenced key decisions in Kiyosaki's life. I advise you to read this book because it is so interesting!
Hi Jamshid,

Thanks for recommending this book. It is quite a popular one which I've heard of for a long time but never actually read it. Thanks for the link also, I am going to have along fight next week and will have something to read on the plane.

Will let you know how I think of the book.
robdrake

Post by robdrake »

Does reading comic books counts as reading a book? :D

I used to read Archie books when I was little. And then grow up reading Marvel / DC 's.

allen_zhang

Post by allen_zhang »

Norwegine Wood is my favorite.
#1 2013-09-07 L7.5; R8; S6; W6
#2 2014-03-08 L7.5; R7; S7; W5.5
#3 2014-05-10 L7.5; R8; S6.5; W6
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S5.5; W7
#4 2014-06-21 L7.5; R6.5; S7; W5.5
Chi

Post by Chi »

allen_zhang wrote:Norwegine Wood is my favorite.
It's nice to know that you like this book too. But I must say it was quite depressing for me to read it, as most of the characters were going through the crisis of their lives, and few of them decided to cease their lives at such young age. It is the book I would read once, and that's enough. And I did enjoy that one time.
Denis

Post by Denis »

I've finished reading book of J.D Salinger "The Catcher in the Rye" a few days ago.