Best IELTS Tips

This is the place to ask a question about the IELTS or raise an IELTS related topic for public discussion.
FastTrackIELTS

Best IELTS Tips

Post by FastTrackIELTS »

Hi everybody,

Let's use this page to post your favourite IELTS tips. What has helped you to pass your exam? Post your ideas here.

Listening

Read the instructions and questions carefully before you listen.
Try to get an idea of the situation. Who are the speakers? Where are they? Why are they speaking?
Remember, you will only hear the audio once. You will need to read, write and listen all at the same time.
Listen for 'signpost words' such as however, although and finally. They help you to anticipate what the speaker will say.

Reading

Skim through each text to try to get a basic understanding of what it is about. What is the text about? Who was it written for?
Carefully read the title and any sub-heading.
What is the main point of each paragraph? Each paragraph contains a single main idea. The questions will focus on these main ideas.
Remember questions appear in the same order as the answers in the text.
EXPERT IELTS WRITING TASK 1 & TASK 2 CORRECTIONS
WWW.PASSMYIELTS.COM/IELTS-WRITING
FastTrackIELTS

Re: Best IELTS Tips

Post by FastTrackIELTS »

Writing Task 1 Tips

Spend 20 minutes on Task 1 (150 words) and 40 minutes on Task 2 (250 words). Task 2 is longer than Task 1 and is worth twice as many marks.

Before you write

Read the task and make a mental summary of the key points and overall trends/stages.
Why? Because if you misinterpret the data or diagram, you will lose a lot of marks for content.

As you write

Introduce the information, in a sentence or two, using your own words.[/b]
Why? Because if you copy the question, the examiner will not count these words.
Summarise the key points and use data to illustrate these.
Why? Because you will lose marks if you miss key points or fail to illustrate them.
Include an overview of the information - either in your introduction or conclusion.
Why? Because you will lose marks if your answer does not contain an overview.

How you write

Try to show that you can use your own words (wherever possible) and a range of grammatical structures.
Why? Because you will get more marks for vocabulary and grammar if you can do this.
Divide your answer into paragraphs and use linkers to connect your ideas.
Why? Because you will get more marks if you can organise your answer well and use a range of linking and reference words.

When you have finished

Count your words to make sure you have written enough.
Why? Because short answers lose marks. (There are no extra marks for long answers.)
Check your grammar, spelling and punctuation.
Why? Because mistakes in these areas can reduce your marks.
FastTrackIELTS

Post by FastTrackIELTS »

Listening Tip
In Section 1 of the IELTS listening exam, you may have to complete a form. Normally, each answer is one or two words.

In Section 1, the information is factual; for example, dates, telephone numbers and places.

Reading Tip
In the IELTS Reading exam, follow the instructions carefully. In tasks that ask you to summarize, the following instructions apply:

1) You are told how many words you can use in your answer.

2) Numbers can be written using words or figures. A number or symbol counts as one word.

3) Hyphenated words count as single words.

Writing Tip
In Academic Writing Task 1, don’t forget that you are not expected to give your opinion on the information you are given.

You should merely describe the information factually.

Speaking Tip
In IELTS Speaking exam, when you have to answer questions in Part 1, think for a moment before you respond.

You can use conversation fillers such as, “Let me think for a moment” or “What an interesting question!”.
FastTrackIELTS

Post by FastTrackIELTS »

Advice from an IELTS student:

1. Focus more on your areas of weakness. I had some difficulty with reading, which is why I devoted more time to it.

2. I also paid more attention to both the listening and reading skills, because they will be graded objectively. The writing and speaking are both subjectively graded, you may not know what you will get regardless how much you prepare.

3. Time is your greatest enemy. Practice answering the reading passages within the allotted time limit, because 1 hour may not be enough to answer 40 questions.

4. In the writing part, always do task 2 first because it bears more marks than task 1. Also practice finishing essays in less than 1 hour.

5. When doing sample drills, always train yourself to follow instructions.

6. Always build up your stamina, try doing a simulation exam, wherein you have to answer 3 modules (listening, reading, and writing) continuously within 2 hours and 40 minutes.

7. On the night before the test, have a good night’s sleep, for it can help you concentrate on the day of the test.

8. Eat your breakfast in the morning before the test; you might fail to concentrate when you are hungry.

9. The speaking test is the most difficult part for me, so try to do “one on one” with a friend or a mentor. Simulate what happens in sections 1-3 of the speaking test. It helps you build your self-confidence.

10. Lastly, what really helped me a lot in the speaking test was the feedback from other test takers. Gather some information on what came out as their questions, and try to formulate your own answers.
ieltscharlie

Stop Practicing and Start Reading!

Post by ieltscharlie »

If you're stuck at the same band score, despite lots of practice and lots of tips, it's probably time to stop practising IELTS. The reasons you're stuck at the same band score is probably because you don't have enough vocabulary.

So if you find yourself stuck at the same IELTS band score, stop studying IELTS and do some quality reading in English. This will help you to improve your vocabulary.

I've made a list of 11 websites where you can read IELTS-style materials. Read them initially as a way of learning new vocabulary. You will see words in context; you will see how words and phrases are used in natural English. Here is a link to the list.

http://ieltscharlie.com/ielts-reading-p ... s-to-help/

So stop practicing and start reading! Good luck!

Charles Cornelius
IELTS Coach at http://ieltscharlie.com
ted_ielts

Post by ted_ielts »

Work on your nerves. I've known some amazing students who just fall to pieces during exam situations. In particular, here in rural China many students have never met a foreigner before and panic during the speaking exam! :o It seems strange, but all their practice just goes right out the window. So a student must be familiar with the exam conditions and ready to deal with stress and nerves in order to reach their full potential.
Free IELTS advice, model essays, and much more: http://www.ted-ielts.com

Guides for IELTS teachers: http://www.ielts-teaching.com
FastTrackIELTS

Post by FastTrackIELTS »

That's a great tip Ted.

I think watching videos of IELTS speaking exams can help students to get an understanding of what to expect.
ted_ielts

Post by ted_ielts »

That's right. It's very useful to watch other students going through the procedure to familiarize yourself with it.
Free IELTS advice, model essays, and much more: http://www.ted-ielts.com

Guides for IELTS teachers: http://www.ielts-teaching.com
FastTrackIELTS

Post by FastTrackIELTS »

Listening Tip
In IELTS Listening exam, when you have to complete sentences, make sure that the word or phrase you write is correct both in terms of meaning and in terms of its grammar.

If it doesn't fit grammatically, it's the wrong answer.

Reading Tip
It is easy to forget the meaning of new words. Try to work with new words you come across: look at the different related meanings, look up the different word forms and use them in a sentence about yourself.

The more you do with a word when you first come across it, the more likely you are to remember its meaning later.

Writing Tip
In Writing Task 2, if the question asks you to “discuss both views” then you need a balanced argument, so make a list of ideas for and against the issue, and then give your opinion (I believe; I think).

Note that Task 2 counts for twice the marks of Task 1 so spend twice the amount of time on it. It is important to write at least 150 words for Task 1 and 250 words for Task 2.

Speaking Tip
In IELTS Speaking exam, when you have to answer questions in Part 1, don't just give one-word answers. You have to show that you can communicate in English. Try to say several sentences for each answer.
IELTS IDP INDIA

Post by IELTS IDP INDIA »

Here are some very effective ways to improve your general English:

Read as much English as you can. This will help you to build your vocabulary, and you will also see how English is used naturally.

Record new vocabulary on flashcards. You can use these to revise new words and to test yourself. Anki is a great tool for creating flashcards online which you can later use on your phone.

watch movies and TV shows with English subtitles. You can download subtitles from sites such as Subscene and Movie Subtitles.

write some English every day, e.g. by writing a diary, keeping a blog or communicating with an online community such as people on a Facebook group that share an interest with you.

Try the ‘shadowing’ technique. This involves repeating what someone has just said in English. This will help with pronunciation, intonation and stress. (Note: you cannot learn a language solely through the shadowing technique, despite what some claim)

Find an English tutor online. They can help you to improve your writing and speaking. (Note: if your English tutor focuses too much on grammar, get a new teacher).

Speak English every day: create videos for social media, talk to yourself, talk to your cat!

Read and listen to IELTS-style material:-

Read lots of IELTS-style texts, and listen to lots of IELTS-style audio recordings. These will help you to improve your English. You will also find out about the kinds of topics that come up in the IELTS test. Focus especially on topics related to education, health and the environment as these are topics that frequently come up in the IELTS test.

Understand the IELTS :-

You can prepare for the IELTS by finding out everything you can about the test and by getting familiar with the exam format. Read through some exam preparation materials - you can find these online and in bookshops. Also check out YouTube for videos about the IELTS.

Practice :-

Buy or download some IELTS practice tests. Then start to practice these tests. At first, do not worry about finishing the test 'on time' or doing it under exam conditions. Instead, relax and practise slowly.

Try a reading test or a listening test. Think carefully about the question, think about the answer, and then check your answer in the back of the book. If you get the answer wrong, find out why. Analyse your mistakes. Learn from your mistakes.

In other words, don't do lots of practice tests; instead, develop the skills and strategies you need to answer the questions. Train yourself, don't test yourself. Go for quality, not quantity.

Find your weak areas :- Identify your weak areas and try to improve them. If your weak area is writing, practise writing IELTS-style essays and try to get feedback on them. If you are weak at speaking, find a speaking partner or an IELTS tutor.

Build your IELTS vocabulary :-

To succeed in the IELTS exam, you need to have a wide vocabulary. This means having a good level of general English, but it also helps to know lots of words and phrases connected to common IELTS topics, such as education, health and the environment.

So make sure you grow your vocabulary for IELTS. Read the websites I suggested in section 2. You can also use reading and listening tests to help you learn IELTS vocabulary - simply learn the words you don't know that you came across in these tests.

To help you learn more words quickly, I’ve created a vocabulary course on Udemy, where you can learn 300 words that often come up in the IELTS test.
Book your IELTS Test 2019 with IELTS IDP INDIA - Don't Delay - Click here
qammarrafique

Re: RE: Re: Best IELTS Tips

Post by qammarrafique »

IELTS IDP INDIA wrote:Here are some very effective ways to improve your general English:

Read as much English as you can. This will help you to build your vocabulary, and you will also see how English is used naturally.

Record new vocabulary on flashcards. You can use these to revise new words and to test yourself. Anki is a great tool for creating flashcards online which you can later use on your phone.

watch movies and TV shows with English subtitles. You can download subtitles from sites such as Subscene and Movie Subtitles.

write some English every day, e.g. by writing a diary, keeping a blog or communicating with an online community such as people on a Facebook group that share an interest with you.

Try the ‘shadowing’ technique. This involves repeating what someone has just said in English. This will help with pronunciation, intonation and stress. (Note: you cannot learn a language solely through the shadowing technique, despite what some claim)

Find an English tutor online. They can help you to improve your writing and speaking. (Note: if your English tutor focuses too much on grammar, get a new teacher).

Speak English every day: create videos for social media, talk to yourself, talk to your cat!

Read and listen to IELTS-style material:-

Read lots of IELTS-style texts, and listen to lots of IELTS-style audio recordings. These will help you to improve your English. You will also find out about the kinds of topics that come up in the IELTS test. Focus especially on topics related to education, health and the environment as these are topics that frequently come up in the IELTS test.

Understand the IELTS :-

You can prepare for the IELTS by finding out everything you can about the test and by getting familiar with the exam format. Read through some exam preparation materials - you can find these online and in bookshops. Also check out YouTube for videos about the IELTS.

Practice :-

Buy or download some IELTS practice tests. Then start to practice these tests. At first, do not worry about finishing the test 'on time' or doing it under exam conditions. Instead, relax and practise slowly.

Try a reading test or a listening test. Think carefully about the question, think about the answer, and then check your answer in the back of the book. If you get the answer wrong, find out why. Analyse your mistakes. Learn from your mistakes.

In other words, don't do lots of practice tests; instead, develop the skills and strategies you need to answer the questions. Train yourself, don't test yourself. Go for quality, not quantity.

Find your weak areas :- Identify your weak areas and try to improve them. If your weak area is writing, practise writing IELTS-style essays and try to get feedback on them. If you are weak at speaking, find a speaking partner or an IELTS tutor.

Build your IELTS vocabulary :-

To succeed in the IELTS exam, you need to have a wide vocabulary. This means having a good level of general English, but it also helps to know lots of words and phrases connected to common IELTS topics, such as education, health and the environment.

So make sure you grow your vocabulary for IELTS. Read the websites I suggested in section 2. You can also use reading and listening tests to help you learn IELTS vocabulary - simply learn the words you don't know that you came across in these tests.

To help you learn more words quickly, I’ve created a vocabulary course on Udemy, where you can learn 300 words that often come up in the IELTS test.
Hi

Just now I installed this app. I am also a new candidate to attempt IELTS. I am planning at the end of nov. Can you help me. If you have any study material or useful info can you please share it with me.
My email id is qammarrafique@gmail.com
My wtts app is 00966538510795

Qammar Rafique
Telecom Eng
Saudi Arabia

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk