Please assess my writing task -2

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
drbaseer

Please assess my writing task -2

Post by drbaseer »

Tests and examinations are a central feature of school systems in many countries.
Do you think the educational benefits of testing outweigh any disadvantages?

Give reasons for your answer, and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Over the recent years, test and examination have become the major aspect of assessing the students in most of the schools today. Test and examination are not the perfect way of judging the students, but it still holds the larger proportion when compared to assignments and class performance.

With regards to school examinations, people believe it acceptable for several reasons. Firstly, Exams ensures understanding, analyzing and presenting capability of students. For example, In schools, the students were taught lot of things in details consequently, they were expected to extract the main points and present it in a given period of time during the exams. Based on their presentation students will be graded and promoted to a higher class. In addition, exams facilitate students to learn the subject in a better way. For instance, failures make students improve their strategies to tackle exams in a smarter way.

However, I do not believe these arguments stand up to scrutiny because of the following reasons. Few students could not perform better due to exam Stress. For example, to get the dental license in Canada, overseas dentist suppose to pass the clinical exam conducted by National dental examining board of Canada. They are few training centres which provide training for upgrading clinical skills of overseas dentist. In the training center, there are many dental students performing excellent during their normal practice sessions but they fail very badly in their exams. This is certainly because exam pressure hinders their performance. Similarly, in many of other exam situations students performances were hindered by several factors. Furthermore, some of the students are good in memorizing things. They memorize subjects without understanding its concept and get a higher grades compare to students who learnt it in a better way.. For example, In India students get higher grades for writing textbook definitions without understanding its meaning compared to students who really understood the meaning and write in their own way. This is unfair for students who worked hard in understanding the concept.

To Sum up, although some people argue that test and examinations are fair enough for testing the capability of students. I would argue there is sufficient evidence to demonstrate that this is not the case and, therefore, students should be assessed based on their performance in their class, assignments and examination collectively
LavenderLazarus

Re: Please assess my writing task -2

Post by LavenderLazarus »

Firstly, wherever you mention test and examination, make it tests and examinations. The plural form is used in the question, and if you are using a phrase from the question, stick to the same form.

Don't randomly capitalize words, like Exams in the first paragraph, Stress in the second and Sum in the last. Do capitalize words which are organization names, National Dental Examining Board, for example, should have all words with the first letter capital.

Rather than just giving the negatives about the examinations and tests, do give some more information on your solution, specifically, a collective assessment which also includes class participation can be more beneficial.

Sent from my 2014818 using Tapatalk
drbaseer

Re: Please assess my writing task -2

Post by drbaseer »

thank you so much for your valuable comments ..I will definitely keep this in mind next time.